• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • nila
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Feb 2018

Smart Lights + Socket - Better / Custom App

Hi all,
    I have some 'generic' smart plug sockets and bulbs. I have put them all onto my WiFi and connected them all up to the app. They all work relatively well and work with Google Home but the app itself is relatively basic and not the best interface.

Wondering if there is any way to use different apps to control the lights? I'm not sure how these things work to connect to? Is it an open standard? Is there an API I can connect to for these apps to control them? There must be something as Google obviously connects to it to control them.

I'd also like to be able to make Widgets on my Android phone that lets me do multiple tasks etc?

Thanks

Nila
  • noel-pilot
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • May 2005

Hi Nila,
    This is where you come into the realm of needing some home automation software or if if such a thing exists a standalone third party app that can talk to the devices you have.

Smart home software/hardware such as Indigo https://www.indigodomo.com/ or Samsung Smart things can talk various different protocols to connect to various different devices.

So with Indigo for example you make your own control web pages that can be as simple or as fancy as you like, then you access them through any browser or the Indigo app. For smart things I think its similar.

Others may be able to advise whether there's any stand alone apps that can do what you're looking for I've not heard of any.

Good luck and enjoy!!

Comment

Working...
    X