• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Rooms are struggling : Higher Flow Temperature or Higher Boiler Output

With the recent cold snap, some of my rooms have been struggling to get to their set points. I have my Flow set to 65C and the boiler can go up to 75C. But I also have my 38Kw wound down to 18Kw. Which do I increase first and why?
  • top brake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Feb 2015

Temperatures are fine, you need to remove the range rating. What boiler is it?
    I work for Resideo, posts are personal and my own views.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jul 2014

Vaillant ecoTec 438

Comment

• top brake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Feb 2015

Easy then. The boiler auto range rating is the setting that you need

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
          With the recent cold snap, some of my rooms have been struggling to get to their set points. I have my Flow set to 65C and the boiler can go up to 75C. But I also have my 38Kw wound down to 18Kw. Which do I increase first and why?
          The answer to that question is easy - is the boiler able to reach the set flow temperature in a timely fashion and maintain it there ?

With a complete cold start with all radiators coming on it might take 20 minutes or so before the set flow temperature is attained and that would be pretty normal. Once the radiators are up to temperature is the indicated flow temperature being maintained ?

If so, increasing the max power output of the boiler won't do anything. All that will do is speed up the initial cold start performance somewhat but won't help with any rooms that are struggling to reach their set points when most of the rest of the house is up to temperature - provided the flow temperature is being reached.

So if the boiler is unable to reach the flow temperature then yes turn up the boilers maximum heat output, otherwise turn up the flow temperature a bit. Even 5 degrees will make a noticeable difference.

For what it's worth in these conditions I've had my flow temperature at 75, and I have a mix of old and modern radiators.

Another thing to check would be the reported heat demands from the zones in question - are they near 100% ? Also if the radiator doesn't seem as hot as other radiators despite the room set point not being reached try lifting the HR92 off and turning the black wheel anti-clockwise to see how much further it turns - you'll probably find it turns at least half a turn even if it already reports 100%. Leave it like this for a few minutes and see if the radiator gets hotter.

If it does, you need Stroke set to 1 on this radiator. I have a couple of radiators including the living room one where the pin has to be fully out to get full flow - in stroke 0 mode it never quite moves the pin far enough to get full flow, thus the radiator heat output is limited. I don't notice this as an issue in mild weather but in the middle of winter where the room needs everything it can get I find the room wont reach the set point unless the HR92 is in Stroke 1 mode - so that might be worth a try in the problematic rooms as well.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Originally posted by top brake View Post
            Easy then. The boiler auto range rating is the setting that you need
            This boiler doesn't have an Auto. You must set a Max. It modulates down from whatever max is set.

Comment

• top brake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Feb 2015

This boiler doesn't have an Auto. You must set a Max. It modulates down from whatever max is set.
              Ok then you’ll have to do a whole house heatloss and adjust to suit

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Do I set the KW to the max the system can cope with or the minimum I can get away with. I thought condensing boilers were most efficient when driven to their max.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Why would you think that ?

Also as far as I can see you haven't established yet whether you need the maximum power output turning up or just need a higher flow temperature. At least you haven't told us if you have.

Comment

• top brake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Feb 2015

Do I set the KW to the max the system can cope with or the minimum I can get away with. I thought condensing boilers were most efficient when driven to their max.
                    As previous recommended the best way is to do a whole house heatloss calculation. Otherwise just set it to a bit higher and see how it goes. But it is no longer -3deg...

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

Yup and it seemed like we had a balancing issue as opposed to anything else. With Evohome we are rarely heating most rooms together but with the temps we had and the fact that most rooms needed heat, the system was working flat out and robbing some rooms.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Yup and it seemed like we had a balancing issue as opposed to anything else. With Evohome we are rarely heating most rooms together but with the temps we had and the fact that most rooms needed heat, the system was working flat out and robbing some rooms.
                        Interesting.

Dispels the myth that you don't need to balance a system with smart TRV's!

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Originally posted by top brake View Post
                          But it is no longer -3deg...
                          It's almost like someone from Honeywell is arguing that weather compensation might be useful.... ;-)

Comment

Working...
                          X