• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • papadev
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

Getting a spark for a newb.

Hello all. Am in the process of purchasing an house which will need major renovation work including rewiring so this is a good time to future proof the building.
    Now while i undertstand the principles of running cable from every room to a central point for control, i have trouble rewiring a plug so I am at the mercy of my electrician.
    My question is do most if not all commercial sparks about these days have a firm understanding of the principles of networking, CAT 5 etc so I could come up with a rough plan of my needs and trust them to do their stuff?

As you can see I am a newbie
  • phcjpp
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2004

Re: Getting a spark for a newb.

Um in a word no. I had a disaster with my first electrician and had to have everything redone. All electricians are not created equal.

You have two options as far as leaving people to get on with it.

1.) Hire an integrator - there are plenty of them about who will get their own electricians in and make sure they do their job. This is the easiest but also most costly route.

2.) Secondly, work out a plan yourself and find a fairly competant electrician to work with you. It is very easy to bugger up running something as simple as cat5 let alone deciding where to run this cat5 to and from though.

Where are you based ?

Chris

Comment

• papadev
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2005

Based in belfast. For this job I really would want only the bare guts of the system put in. ie the cables and sockets etc while the building work is going on. If i have to rewire the house anyway then why not.

Ideally then in the future (when I can afford it) I could add in media centres, speakers, screens etc to the already existing network. Of course i would need someone who knows what the score is so I dont get a shock in a years time when I plug in my speakers and nothing works...

Comment

• phcjpp
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2004

Sockets go in at the very very end!!!

All you need to know about cables is contained in the cabling guide on this site. Just remember - be gentle with the cat5 and pull more runs than you think you need. Its fairly cheap stuff so more is better.

Chris

Comment

• toscal
          • Oct 2005

You might want to try and look at this company, www.minitran.co.uk . And then click on their Home Multimedia Networking link. This system is by Abitana and is really good. If you want the full system you need to install their cable, which is a modified Cat5 cable. The cable has been designed to take frequencies of up to 900MHz, which means video and tv distribution.
          The company is very helpful and will put you in touch with someone local if there is someone.
          If you find your own electrician make sure he understands how to lay Cat5 type cables. This is quite important, since Cat5 or similar cables do have special requirements / procedures for laying.
          IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
          Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• Otto-Mate
            Founder
            • Jan 2004

Hi papadev

I'm from Lisburn

It would be worth contacting Stepghen from i-Home (in Belfast), He should be able to put you in touch with a spark with HA experience....

M.
            Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
            www.twitter.com/ottomate
            www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• Fish
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • May 2004

Hi Papadev

As M said, I can put you in touch with a spark you'll know his way round this stuff, or we can organise everything for you.

Some sparks are very progressive and willing to learn new things, but imo most are good at, and prefer to stick to, what they know. Some will say they've used cat5e in the past but often they've simply used it instead of tele cable.

Anyway, give me a call if you want to chat. The numbers on the website.

Regards

Stephen

Cheers,

Stephen Jones
              i-Home Ltd
              www.i-home.co.uk
              CIS Integrator

Comment

Working...
              X