• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Old_Codger
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Dec 2017

Evohome - one zone not optimising.

We've had our evohome system for just a few months and are generally pleased with it - although the valves are really noisy when they move: for something so expensive you'd think they could get them to operate silently. And Mrs Codger can't get used to the fact that some rooms are cold during the day when others are hot

I do have one problem which I don't know how to fix. We have our system set to optimise. The main intention being that when we come down to the kitchen at 7am its already at the set temperature. However, it doesn't happen. It works in the other zones/rooms. I see the "optimising on” and "optimising off" symbols everywhere but the Kitchen.

I've checked the setup page and as far as I can tell it’s the same as for the other zones (especially the lounge which is also a two-rad zone).

Any suggestions as to how I can force the kitchen to optimise?

Set up - 9 rooms, 10 zones. Lounge and Kitchen have two rads each. Evohome controller sets the temperature in the Hall which just has TRVs. Rest of house has one rad / room. All valves HR92. Hot Water system (original motorised valve) All new kit installed by Honeywell approved installer. Latest firmware (has the valve % open summary screen)
    Last edited by Old_Codger; 3 March 2018, 10:33 AM.
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

How close is the temperature of the room to the set point when you're expecting to see the optimal start (upwards pointing arrow) appear ?

Optimal start doesn't function if the room is already within 1 degree of the set point.

So if your 7am set point for the kitchen is 20 degrees and the room is already 19 degrees or above it won't come on early, it will just change to 20 degrees at exactly 7am with no optimisation icon.

But if the room was 18.5 degrees or less before 7am optimal start will function. Is this what you're seeing ?

Comment

• Old_Codger
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Dec 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      How close is the temperature of the room to the set point when you're expecting to see the optimal start (upwards pointing arrow) appear ?

At the moment they're a long way apart which is why i realised it wasn't working

e.g This morning it was 15 in the kitchen when I came down just before 7 am - it should have been at 20. Rads were cold until setpoint changed at 7am - i.e. it is behaving like its timed not optimised.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Ok that is peculiar. I can't think of anything off hand that would cause that so the first thing I'd try would be to just give the controller a reboot, then see how it is the following morning.

To do this remove it from the stand, pop the front cover off around the edges, then part the two batteries for a few seconds then put everything back. You'll see hourglasses on the zones for a while but they will eventually start reading the temperature again. You can press the button on each HR92 to force it to report the temperature more quickly if you're impatient.

Comment

• Old_Codger
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Dec 2017

Done. Let’s see what happens.

Glad to see the old fall back of “Have you tried switching it off and back on again” applies here as well 🤔

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

Now if only we could find out HOW to trigger the "won't optimise" bug for a particular zone, MANY people would be over the moon!

Comment

• Old_Codger
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
              Now if only we could find out HOW to trigger the "won't optimise" bug for a particular zone, MANY people would be over the moon!
              Yes I was surprised it was a global setting rather than a per zone. I'm also surprised it isn't linked to the outside tempearture - just to an expected heat up rate.

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

It used to be available at zone level. One of the biggest user complaints (here, amongst the 'power users') is that the facility was removed.

Your experience suggests the remnants of the zone-level code might still exist in the firmware.

Comment

• Shadylee
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Nov 2017

It's odd this thread should come up, my living room failed to optimise this morning too!. Had to check the HR 92s to make sure they were ok.very odd. Rest of the house was all up to temp fine, living room was miles behind which it never is as it's got 2 massive rads

Comment

• Old_Codger
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Dec 2017

The reboot fixed the problem for me. I came down 15 mins ahead of the “on” time and the display said it was “optimising on”, Rads were warm.

It wasn’t at temp by the due time but I guess it will learn.

Is there software that allows you to chart the temperatures in the rooms? So I can see how things perform over a period of days/weeks/months?

Comment

• HenGus
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • May 2014

Originally posted by Old_Codger View Post
                      The reboot fixed the problem for me. I came down 15 mins ahead of the “on” time and the display said it was “optimising on”, Rads were warm.

It wasn’t at temp by the due time but I guess it will learn.

Is there software that allows you to chart the temperatures in the rooms? So I can see how things perform over a period of days/weeks/months?
                      It happened to me about 4 days ago when my kitchen zone failed to come on even after the normal set temperature time. I have turned off the Window Open function in the HR92s and it has been fine since.

Re your monitoring - try https://conradconnect.de/en

Comment

• Old_Codger
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2017

Originally posted by HenGus View Post
                        It happened to me about 4 days ago when my kitchen zone failed to come on even after the normal set temperature time. I have turned off the Window Open function in the HR92s and it has been fine since.

Re your monitoring - try https://conradconnect.de/en
                        It's odd that three or four of us had the problem around the same time.

Thanks for ths link to Conrad Connect. I can't find how to link it to my Evohome account. Can you point me in the right direction please?

Comment

• Old_Codger
                          Automated Home Jr Member
                          • Dec 2017

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post

I was thinking about this - how to stop a zone optimising - can you trick the zone by using a short dummy time slot at the start and end of a time slot? e.g. if you want to force a bedroom to come on at 19C ONLY at 9pm. have a dummy 10 minute interval from 8:50pm at (say) 10 C. the worst that would happen is it would start to "on optimise" on at 8:50 to get it up from 10 C to 19C.

Theres lots of limitations to this method but it would be a work around.

Comment

• richardjh
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Nov 2017

I fitted a plinth heater with a HR92 and remote temp sensor in the kitchen last December and have the system set to optimise off. The kitchen never shows optimisation which I think is mainly because the heater is undersized for the room (particularly in the recent weather) so never can reach the 20c set point.

Comment

• Old_Codger
                              Automated Home Jr Member
                              • Dec 2017

Originally posted by richardjh View Post
                              I fitted a plinth heater with a HR92 and remote temp sensor in the kitchen last December and have the system set to optimise off. The kitchen never shows optimisation which I think is mainly because the heater is undersized for the room (particularly in the recent weather) so never can reach the 20c set point.

Have you tried doing what was recommeded for my problem - popping the battery out for a few seconds and rebooting the contoller?

Comment

Working...
                              X