• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • IanIreland
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2018

Evohome water heater

Hi,
    I installed an Evohome system about a year ago. Started with 4 zones and then increased to 8. I use mainly HR92s on radiators but also have an underfloor loop working off a BDR91, DTS92 and valve.

Today I added the Hot Water kit. Unfortunately, I can't get it working.

My system is S plan.

I installed the BDR91 next to the existing for the heating BDR91.
    I installed the CS92 on the cylinder.
    Both units bound to the controller as expected.
    The Hot Water icon spends some time with the egg timer and then I get Hot Water Senso Error.

I have rebound the two units, no change.
    I have disabled the Hot Water on the Controller and started again, no change.
    I have rebooted the Controller.
    If I press the green button on the HW BDR91 the valve opens and the boiler fires up.
    I have done a Comms check and get a signal strength of 4 flashes.
    At one point during the process, I did see a temp of 99 shows - clearly not correct but its now back to the fault.
    I have tried different batteries in the CS92 and made sure it is well away from the cylinder.
    The CS92 is within a meter of an HR92 and that works OK.

I'm open to suggestions of what else to check!
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

Have you cleared all binds from the sensor and hot water controller, then tried rebinding?

Have you run an RF check, what does it say?

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

One thing to keep in mind when upgrading a system from heating control only to heating and hot water is that your old heating only configuration with one BDR91 it will have been bound as a boiler control relay, however with your new configuration the old BDR91 should be bound as a heating relay in the stored hot water setup, and boiler control should now be set to none.

Also make sure the old binding on the BDR91 is fully cleared before rebinding - hold the button for 15 seconds until the flash becomes quicker.

As for no temperature reading from the sensor, make sure you have the wires for the sensor connected to the correct two terminals in the box. If you can't seem to get it to work at all I'd pull it back out and test the temperature probe against hot and cold surfaces. Are you using the insertion sensor or the strap on sensor ?

When I was testing mine during installation I had the CS92A on the kitchen bench and tested the operation by touching the temperature sensor against the side of a boiled kettle - the sudden change in temperature reading should cause a temperature update on the controller within seconds. So I would start there and see if it responds at all.

How far is the sensor from the main controller and through how many and what type of walls ?

You say you mounted the new BDR91 next to the old one - not right beside it I hope. There should be a minimum of 30cm between the two BDR91's and the CS92A or you will have wireless comms issues. The wireless comms of the CS92A is very finicky and is easily interfered with by being too close to a BDR91.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 22 March 2018, 07:58 AM.

Comment

• IanIreland
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Mar 2018

Thanks for replying, I have rebound - several times. The RF comms scheck gets me 4 flashes, so a good signal.

Comment

• IanIreland
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Mar 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
          One thing to keep in mind when upgrading a system from heating control only to heating and hot water is that your old heating only configuration with one BDR91 it will have been bound as a boiler control relay, however with your new configuration the old BDR91 should be bound as a heating relay in the stored hot water setup, and boiler control should now be set to none.

Also make sure the old binding on the BDR91 is fully cleared before rebinding - hold the button for 15 seconds until the flash becomes quicker.

As for no temperature reading from the sensor, make sure you have the wires for the sensor connected to the correct two terminals in the box. If you can't seem to get it to work at all I'd pull it back out and test the temperature probe against hot and cold surfaces. Are you using the insertion sensor or the strap on sensor ?

When I was testing mine during installation I had the CS92A on the kitchen bench and tested the operation by touching the temperature sensor against the side of a boiled kettle - the sudden change in temperature reading should cause a temperature update on the controller within seconds. So I would start there and see if it responds at all.

How far is the sensor from the main controller and through how many and what type of walls ?

You say you mounted the new BDR91 next to the old one - not right beside it I hope. There should be a minimum of 30cm between the two BDR91's and the CS92A or you will have wireless comms issues. The wireless comms of the CS92A is very finicky and is easily interfered with by being too close to a BDR91.
          Thanks for the reply, I'll play some more.

Comment

• killa47
            Automated Home Guru
            • Jan 2016

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
            Thanks for replying, I have rebound - several times. The RF comms scheck gets me 4 flashes, so a good signal.
            You say you rebound. Did you clear all previous bindings before new bindings.

Comment

• IanIreland
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2018

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
              You say you rebound. Did you clear all previous bindings before new bindings.
              I did, well the bindings on the HW part of the system. Are you suggesting I clear the whole system and start again?

Comment

• killa47
                Automated Home Guru
                • Jan 2016

Originally posted by IanIreland View Post
                I did, well the bindings on the HW part of the system. Are you suggesting I clear the whole system and start again?
                No I just wanted to make sure you had cleared previous bindings for the BDR91 before re-binding, otherwise you create multiple bindings.

Comment

• IanIreland
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2018

Originally posted by killa47 View Post
                  No I just wanted to make sure you had cleared previous bindings for the BDR91 before re-binding, otherwise you create multiple bindings.
                  Phew - I didn't fancy doing the whole system!

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

It's easy to mess up a BDR91 clear bindings (the 15 seconds button press thing). A couple of times I've thought I've done it but it hasn't actually cleared.

P.

Comment

• IanIreland
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                      It's easy to mess up a BDR91 clear bindings (the 15 seconds button press thing). A couple of times I've thought I've done it but it hasn't actually cleared.

P.
                      Is there any way to tell?

Comment

• IanIreland
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Mar 2018

Numpty - someone who thinks they've got the wires in the right place but haven't!

Guys - thanks for all your replies and sorry for wasting your time. I somehow got the wires from the sensor in B & C instead of A & B. I must have turned it over when putting the wires in.

Comment

Working...
                        X