Thread: POP setup for outlook.com and Cortex

Question POP setup for outlook.com and Cortex

Im having troubles receiving email on POP with an outlook.com account - does anyone use this (I set it up to match a Skype account I had for the house). Sending mail on SMTP is fine bu POP not so good...
    The set-up instructions for POP are here
    https://support.office.com/en-gb/art...rs=en-GB&ad=GB
    but when you follow them the server name given is different - however which ever one I use I get the same result :-
    22:16:27 Connecting to incoming email server "outlook.office365.com"
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: Resolving hostname outlook.office365.com.
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: Connecting to 40.101.71.98.
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: SSL status: "before/connect initialization"
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: SSL status: "before/connect initialization"
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: SSL status: "SSLv3 write client hello A"
    22:16:27 EmailReceiver: SSL status: "SSLv3 read server hello A"
    22:16:27 Connection to incoming email server "outlook.office365.com" FAILED to connect!
    22:16:40 Disconnecting from incoming email server

Any ideas?
    Jon
    JonS

Automated Home Legend chris_j_hunter's Avatar

wish could help ... for us, via SMTP no longer works, and we've been trying everything to get it working again ...

no joy - more transparency would be helpful, or even error-messages that give useful clues !

Chris

I have the same problems on my Windows 10 machine. I used to use my ISP’s servers to send and receive, but it’s just not working. I’ve got around sending email using SMTP by using sendgrid.net - free plan. No issues sending now.

I send a number of emails on different events, which is really useful. I also have an email to SMS service which is great for urgent messages (I can tell if my boiler isn’t working, for instance, and receive a text).

I’m not using the receive email option at the moment because of the issues. I had it set up with Amazon Dot - I could tell Alexa to turn a light off and, using IFTTT, it would email Cortex to do just that. Problem was that if the receive interval was set too low, the ISP would block the frequent POP access, but setting it too long, took ages to turn the light off!

Being looked into...

Automated Home Jr Member

I have the same problem with gmail account. SMTP working fine, POP connection fails. Anyone found a solution?

Confirm that the POP (e-mail retrieval) connection to gmail does not work. It is believed to be something to do with gmail's authentication process but don't know exactly what. E-mail sending (SMTP) via gmail does work but you should bear in mind the following settings:

In CortexW10 Outgoing e-mail configuration:
    smtp.gmail.com
    Account Name
    Password
    Simple Login
    reply address
    SSL checked

In your gmail account (i.e you should log on to your gmail account to access this setting) you must enable 'Allow less secure apps' which allows single step authentication to work

Automated Home Jr Member

Do you think you can fix e-mail retrieval?
    It is useful feature.

A development version of CortexW10 is now available which contains a fix for the problem of retreiving e-mails from gmail (and perhaps others which have been problematic). If you would like to try this please e-mail me/IDRATEK for further guidance