• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • filbert
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2017

Evohome holiday mode is a pain

I've just been trying to set my Evohome system to holiday mode and it's frustrating!

The previous (Horstmann, I think it was) system that I used allowed me to select, in advance, a day to start and a day to finish holiday mode. It then started at noon on the specified day until noon on the return date. Simple and logical.

With the Evohome, the first problem is that how to set it for a specific period is buried in the small print in the instructions. (Keep your finger on 'away' in the quick settings area - I'd already tried that but obviously not held it long enough to be asked).

Then it starts immediately, so I can't set things in advance, I have to leave it 'till the last minute - and not forget in the kerfuffle of packing up to go. And it continues until midnight on the specified day (or maybe the day before, it's not clear to me). I think most people tend to leave and return during the day, so a midday changeover is much more logical.

Again, the technology seems to be ahead of the software design, I'm sure it could be much more flexible in lots of areas. Ho hum ....
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

To be fair, the long press thing is a standard on all/most of the quick actions. It even tells you on the screen.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
      Automated Home Legend
      • Mar 2017

Also based on the fact that you turn it on and off on your phone....

Waiting at the airport, turn the heating off, when you're returning home turn it back on.

Comment

• MrB
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2015

I agree with the remote access facility. You can use the App or the Evohome website. Take your pick.
        If you forget to set it before leaving you can do it at the airport.
        Ditto for return - just set it all remotely when you are 6 hours from home.

There really is no need to limit your management to just the WiFi Controller...

Comment

• smileykt
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Apr 2017

Originally posted by filbert View Post

Then it starts immediately, so I can't set things in advance, I have to leave it 'till the last minute - and not forget in the kerfuffle of packing up to go. .
          I use IFTTT for this. I have it connected to my google calendar, so if an event says 'Evohome away' it sets it to away at that time on that day.

Comment

Working...
          X