Thread: Cheap wireless webcam experience?

Automated Home Lurker

Default Cheap wireless webcam experience?

Hello

I'm considering buying the Linksys WVC54G IP camera (http://snipurl.com/jz30). It's only £100 now but nearly all of the reviews I read offer me doom and gloom. Many people complain about how difficult it is to set up, but I work in IT so that doesn't phase me.
    Therefore has anyone got one and can recommend it? Does it produce a fair picture and can the webstream be contained in your own html? Is it any good basically!

Cheers.

Default Re: Cheap wireless webcam experience?

I've no experience of that unit, but I can recommend the Axis 205's...

http://www.axis.com/products/cam_205/

M.

Automated Home Lurker

My recommendation would be to NOT buy the linksys network camera no matter how cheap it is. The main problem with it is the only way to view a picture from it is via the ActiveX component which of course only works in IE.

Of the network cameras we have tried including Axis, D-Link, Linksys, Sitecom the Axis camera is by far and away the best.

Not only because its a much better quality picture but because it also has a lot of features. Check out the Axis.com website for details.

So IMHO I would go for the Axis 206W if I were you costs more but worth it.

Automated Home Lurker

Thanks for all of your advice.

I think I'll wait for the prices to come down as I'm finding it hard to justify the cost just to watch the cats wrecking the house!