• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • billytkid
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2018

Vallient VR33 module installation

Morning all,

I've got a Vallient EcoTec and my plumbers coming over next week to help me reconfigure the system for EvoHome and OpenTherm.

I know what I'm doing on the DHW setup from other posts, but I can't find straitforward instructions for the VR33 isntall in the boiler.

I've found various Dutch forums (https://gathering.tweakers.net/forum...ssages/1796283) but Google translate I'm not 100% happy about giving it a go and possibly breaking the boiler.

Has anyone in the UK done this and got a few bullet points on what goes where, which loops go on and off etc?

Many thanks
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Lots of us in the UK have done it. What is the exact EcoTec model? I think my 438 was the only boiler where I had to go off piste a little with the installation. The rest are dead easy.

Comment

• billytkid
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
      Lots of us in the UK have done it. What is the exact EcoTec model? I think my 438 was the only boiler where I had to go off piste a little with the installation. The rest are dead easy.
      Hi Bruce,

thanks for coming back, massivley appreciated!

It's an Vaillant ecotec plus 630.

The plumber is coming on Monday and I've already got the module, so just need to know what goes where, what loops stay on / come off etc.

Thanks

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

I think the 630 is the same generation as my 438.

So see http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post28823

Comment

• bruce_miranda
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jul 2014

Actually ignore what I just said for a moment and post a picture of your boiler PCB. The 630 appears to use both the old style 7-8-9 terminal PCB as well as the 24VRT, Burner Off terminal PCB.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jul 2014

Read http://www.wordpress-1219309-4387497...ll=1#post26850

Comment

• billytkid
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Mar 2018

Hi Bruce,

photos below. Would be great to know what I plug where etc.

20180412_204428.jpg20180412_204409.jpg

thanks

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jul 2014

Yours is pretty straight forward as you have the new style PCB. You just need to put the Bridge back into that White socket called 24V RT, as you already have the Blue Burner bridge in and the pink eBUS socket needs to stay unbridged.
                The VR33 will slot into X31, which is hidden underneath those wires on the Left. The VR33 board itself has a nice slot on the Left hand side of that electrics box.
                Your OT bridge will plug into the VR33 plug via a 2 core wire. Even before the OT bridge is wired up you can do some quick checks to see if the boiler recognises the ne3 VR33 board and is able to fire up the boiler or not.

Comment

• billytkid
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Mar 2018

Brilliant thank you!

Is there a cheatsheet for getting into the installer menu to check if it's seen?

Also on the switched 240v that currently calls for heat, do i disconnect that, or make it permanent 240v?

thanks

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Jul 2014

Please tell your electrician deal with the 240V side of things. Some boilers will need it linked and some don't. You should follow the instructions in your boiler manual as though you are connecting an eBUS controller, which you basically are.

When you connect the VR33, D.90 will go from 0 to 1 to indicate the boiler has recognised the eBUS controller. With the VR33 Link on, D.9 will show a target value of 90C and with it off the D.9 will drop to 0C or 10C. This same test can be performed after you wire the OT Bridge. Press the button in the front and the D.9 should jump to 90C. Also you want the OT Bridge LED to blink at regular intervals.

Comment

• billytkid
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Mar 2018

Hi Bruce and all,

thanks for the invaluable help on this. the install of the VR33 went easily. On the 240v side of things you just need to leave that disconnected.

the only issue however is now the vagaries of Evohome and opentherm.... almost ready to switch back to non-smart heating... (issues in another thread)

Comment

Working...
                      X