Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Alternatives to Evohome, one could buy today?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think Evohome struggles with some houses and some heating systems (under or over specified). But I suspect that the alternatives will struggle even more.
    That has to be right looking at some of the correspondents in these pages but generally it is fine. Mine system was really taxed over Christmas with family from Australia feeling the cold and constant temperature adjustments. Evohome handled everything very well.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    I think Evohome struggles with some houses and some heating systems (under or over specified). But I suspect that the alternatives will struggle even more.
    Agree with this - the more modern and capable the basic radiators are the better it works.

Our 30 year old house had original rads and generally limited to no per-room radiator override. The heating design seemed to be on the premise of a huge radiator in one room and heat leaching across the house to be topped up by small radiators in other rooms. As soon as you swap to room by room control that all falls over - the small radiators do their best but just don't cut it.

Another point I've noticed is that old radiators on full pelt tend to heat up the space around them quicker than newer ones designed to encourage heat convection up and over. In my case that meant the small radiator on full pelt warmed the HR92 next to it nicely which then cut the heat off before it had done anything useful in the room.

It's cost a bit replacing the radiators (always our plan so happy with that) but it has meant the EvoHome is able to work effectively room by room.

Automated Home Jr Member

Just to add to the list:
    - HeatGenius can do UFH, but can't do OpenTherm (though they're testing something with a brand new opentherm-supporting oil burner), and can also do >12 zones.
    - Drayton Wiser can't do UFH, but does OT