Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Alternatives to Evohome, one could buy today?

Automated Home Legend

The feature or bug, where you can still manually over-ride a radiator valve when the Heating is switched off is a god send for people who have no clue what to do with the panel. I wonder how long after I am gone will someone discover my IFTTT rules that would be playing "havoc" with the things in the house.

Automated Home Legend

Drayton Wiser is out because it can't do UFH. What else?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Drayton Wiser is out because it can't do UFH. What else?
    Tado seems to support UFH.

Automated Home Ninja

I quite like the looks of the Tado system. I've never tried it but it doesn't look a bad system on the face of it. The TRVs looks better and neater.

Also the manufactures are doing their own radiator controllers too, Vaillant have launched theirs and Worcester have just announced theirs. The issue I see with this, it ties you to one manufacture for your boiler should that boiler need replacing 10 years down the line then you have to replace the control system with it. Which I suppose many will argue that it isn't a bad thing.

I think the advantage Honeywell have though is they've been doing this longer and are a leading manufacture in controls and IMO the most reliable. All these manufactures releasing smart TRVs are new to the market whereas Honeywells have been out for a good number of years. I imagine there will be a few teething problems.

Automated Home Legend

Tado appear to support UFH via simple room stats and I supposed a Relay unit. So on a multi zone manifold, you will have multiple relay boxes as opposed to the Honeywell UFH controller. I don't see why Drayton Wiser, couldn't do pretty much the same thing. I think they started with a standard timer replacement and hence are limited to what is possible. But they could have made a channel capable of either using smart TRVs or room stats with their own relays.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Tado appear to support UFH via simple room stats and I supposed a Relay unit. So on a multi zone manifold, you will have multiple relay boxes as opposed to the Honeywell UFH controller. I don't see why Drayton Wiser, couldn't do pretty much the same thing. I think they started with a standard timer replacement and hence are limited to what is possible. But they could have made a channel capable of either using smart TRVs or room stats with their own relays.
    In my experience the latest Drayton RF stuff has always been a bit naff, so personally i'd avoid Drayton.

With any smart system that offers a roomstat as a 'Zone' you could use on Underfloor. You'd just have to use a traditional wiring centre and have a receiver/stat for each zone. Maybe a little messy but not impossible.

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by mtmcgavock View Post
    I quite like the looks of the Tado system. I've never tried it but it doesn't look a bad system on the face of it. The TRVs looks better and neater.

I think the advantage Honeywell have though is they've been doing this longer and are a leading manufacture in controls and IMO the most reliable.
    Son installed the original Tado system (no zoning) after extensive benchmarking against Evohome, Hive and Nest. DIY installation instructions specific to his model of boiler made the job very easy. He has found the geofencing extremely versatile, it copes with three occupants of the flat coming and going at different times without them having to input any commands or liaise with each other, and this alone justifies the original choice against the opposition. It does rely on Tado servers but in three years there has only been one outage of a couple of days.

I looked at all this again in some detail last year for our barn conversion and got very close to binning my whole Evohome setup because of repeated comms problems and false firing. But while waiting to see what would appear in the long-heralded web interface (yes, display of zones calling for heat - if you dig deep in the menu!) I managed to fix the worst of the unreliability by installing a free replacement HR80, so the urgency has passed for the moment.

If I were starting again today I would almost certainly go for Heat Genius. Using third party TRVs and an open RF system (with repeaters!) are significant advantages. The only downside I know of is the reliance on external servers but that seems almost unavoidable.
    Last edited by sharpener; 28th April 2018 at 05:06 PM.

Automated Home Jr Member

I am interested in the same question as posed in the OP, as after 3 years of it just never really working properly, I'm losing patience with Evohome.

When i did my investigations back in 2015 Heat Genius seemed to be the main alternative, so is that still the case?

Does anyone know anything about this system:

https://istabai.com/ ?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by lineweight View Post
    I am interested in the same question as posed in the OP, as after 3 years of it just never really working properly, I'm losing patience with Evohome.

When i did my investigations back in 2015 Heat Genius seemed to be the main alternative, so is that still the case?

Does anyone know anything about this system:

https://istabai.com/ ?
    ... and I have 4 years with few, if any issues, mostly self generated, and would certainly recommend Evohome. Once set up and left alone, it just works.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

I think Evohome struggles with some houses and some heating systems (under or over specified). But I suspect that the alternatives will struggle even more.