• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anonymous
    Automated Home Guru
    • Nov 2000

weird question

i am a college student and i have 2 tvs side by side to watch different shows and sporting events but i was wondering if there is any way to have the 2 tvs viewed as one big screen so that the picture is spanned across both tvs? thank you
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: weird question

Originally posted by Anonymous
    i am a college student and i have 2 tvs side by side to watch different shows and sporting events but i was wondering if there is any way to have the 2 tvs viewed as one big screen so that the picture is spanned across both tvs? thank you

:!: I dont see how this is relevant to the KAT5 forum but will answer anyway :!:

Short answer "Yes".

Longer answer.... Yes but you will need some expensive hardware. you will need a framestore such as those used for VideoWalls. This digitises the incoming picture and then reads out just a portion of the the whole image to a graphics card that displays that portion on the relevant display.

Where it gets complicated is that generally a video wall is 2x2 or 3x3 or 4x4 etc to maintain the aspect ratio of the picture. Your example would be 2x1 so everyone would appear very fat. Also VideoWall controllers tend to output signals for VGA type monitors rather than a Composite TV signal.

Another thing to consider is that two TV's would not give a very good picture even if you did manage to split the image across both screens as there would be a gap between the screens of at least 2-3 inches due to the cases. Proper videowall monitor reduce this to about an inch but it still destroys the illusion of a big picture. Projection VideoCubes reduce this to a few millimetres but it is still apparent.

IMHO the cheapest option in your case is to nip down to your local supermarket and snap up one of the 28" widescreen bargains that are between £150 and £200. Alternatively, how about a cheap projector from about £450

No doubt you will then ask how to display two different pictures on the one widescreen TV. That one is easier to answer. spend more on the widescreen set to begin with and buy one that has a split picture facility

Hope that helps

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
    X