Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: EPCs based on RdSAP - Evohome

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    the response was ‘he is available and quick’!
    That tells you everything you need to know right there. If they're available, it's because they have no bookings, and that's because they're either too expensive, or no good, or both.

Automated Home Legend

Things have moved on a bit. The assessor is now refusing to register his EPC assessment as he is worried that I might contest it. He is adamant that he has never seen a house with any form of smart heating controls so how was he supposed to know that it is zoned?

Out-of-interest, does anyone know why the Boiler Plus 2018 regulations (applicable from 1 April 2018) have the following caveats:

Combi boiler installations must also include one of the following: Weather compensation, Load compensation, Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Smart controls.

It would seem that the above does not apply to system boilers.

Automated Home Legend

Surely "Flue Gas Heat Recovery" just means that it is a condensing boiler... so does that mean any condensing combi boiler will pass without needing weather compensation, load compensation or smart controls ?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    Surely "Flue Gas Heat Recovery" just means that it is a condensing boiler... so does that mean any condensing combi boiler will pass without needing weather compensation, load compensation or smart controls ?
    Not as I read it - but I may be wrong:

https://www.worcester-bosch.co.uk/su...oad/8716117294

Automated Home Legend

Looking at various websites, it looks to me as if Evohome is treated under EPC rules as Ď2 or more heating zonesí which if added to a single zone system would increase an EPC rating by 5 - as indeed would two CH zone valves and upstairs and downstairs thermostats.

An adjacent house to mine which, from the published 2017 EPC, has the original boiler; no low energy lighting etc and comes in with an EPC of 64 with the potential to get it up to 75. The bit that I donít understand is that if owner carried out all the suggested improvements, the total of the individual increases adds up 21, of which 10 alone relate to 2.5kWp of Solar panels, but the overall rating only increases by 11. Where did the missing increase of 10 go?

Theoretically, my property should be in the region of EPC 64 plus 3 for LE lighting plus 5 for ĎAí rated boiler plus 10 for PV Solar plus 5 for zoning. When the calculation is finally run, I doubt that I will see anything close to 87.

I see that the latest WB zone system (EasyControl) is offering control of 20 zones. That said, the TRVs will never win a design award. They are square and ugly. Going for 2 zones if an EPC does seem to be well behind the roll out of technology.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Things have moved on a bit. The assessor is now refusing to register his EPC assessment as he is worried that I might contest it. He is adamant that he has never seen a house with any form of smart heating controls so how was he supposed to know that it is zoned?

Out-of-interest, does anyone know why the Boiler Plus 2018 regulations (applicable from 1 April 2018) have the following caveats:

Combi boiler installations must also include one of the following: Weather compensation, Load compensation, Flue Gas Heat Recovery, Smart controls.

It would seem that the above does not apply to system boilers.
    It doesn't apply to system/heat only boilers as the theory was that it wasn't easy to implement at this current time, along with the issues of weather/load compensation causing issues with hot water regeneration, therefore causing legionella risks should it not work correctly. Ideally everything would have to be converted to DHW priority which is not always feasible in existing properties. I think soon the legislation will come in that all new or upgraded systems have to do this, and then the above legislation will apply.

It's silly really as you could easily apply smart/optimising controls to a traditional system. Why they didn't just omit the load compensation is beyond me....

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by DBMandrake View Post
    No, it's an extra device that is purchased that fits to the flue.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Did he not spot the cling film used as double glazing too?
    That stuff really works! I rented in a place with wooden windows (with double glazing), but the windows were quite warped and a few had serious drafts. That cling film stuff made a *massive* difference to the warmth of the place.

Automated Home Legend

I have just had a call back from an Energy Assessor about zoning and EPCs. He passed my question on to his accreditation body. Their response was that there are no significant energy-saving benefits in a well insulated average UK home from having more than two zones and TRVs. It is therefore unlikely that future EPC assessment will take full zoning into account when assessing an EPC rating.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Sounds like crap to me. Are they really saying it won't save energy if you stop heating your bedrooms during the day or your living space overnight?

P.