• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MrBoy
    Automated Home Guru
    • May 2017

New radiator with HR92 makes loud rushing sound

Just had the small radiator in my office replaced with a larger vertical column radiator. The old one has an old valve with HR92 and an adapter - the new one has a brand new valve and the same HR92.

It is making a loud rushing sound when on, reminiscent of a washing machine or dishwasher filling up - no gurgles and the radiator is bled. Same as discussed here: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/r...-valve.342716/

It's coming on/off for a few minutes at a time and quite distracting, really rather loud. I notice that while the in-pipe (the one with the TRV) gets nice and hot, the radiator itself never gets particularly warm. I had put that down to the fact it's a 10,000 BTU 4-column monster but now I wonder if something else could be causing both things?

Can anyone help me diagnose what might be causing this - is the noise source likely the radiator or the valve, and what if anything can I do about it?
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Balance the radiator

Comment

• billytkid
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Mar 2018

Originally posted by bruce_miranda View Post
      Balance the radiator
      Yep I second this. Close the manual valve fully on the rad, then set the HR92 to pull full heat (30 deg or so), then slowly open the valve until you can feel the pipes pulling the hot water (note, this may come in from either end of the rad).

Open it as little as needed to get the radiator to a good temp.

This is way less work than balancing the full system, but i've done it on most of mine and it works a treat. Also balancing a system with Evohome is a tricky thing anyway, as all rads may call at different times, so the system is inherantly unbalanced IMHO.

Comment

• MrBoy
        Automated Home Guru
        • May 2017

That was easy... Many thanks. Learn something new every day!

Comment

• robj20
          Automated Home Sr Member
          • Aug 2017

Ive had to do this on my verticale rad, i have it as my bypass radiator and it was too loud so its only open a bit, the auto bypass then kicks in if only the vertical and one other radiator are on.

Comment

Working...
          X