Thread: Central Heating Problem

Automated Home Lurker

Default Central Heating Problem

Hi - I have a question about how I can best solve an issue with my central heating system. I'm not a plumbing expert, so I don't know much about how I can resolve this or what options I have.

Currently we have radiators all through the house with individual thermostat valves on each radiator, which at the moment we just leave on full all the time. One of the radiators doesn't have these, because the installer said that there must still be something flowing if all the valves have been turned to the off position.

We have a Danfoss FP975 CH and HW control unit which allows each to be controlled independently, but the problem is that we end up just switching the heating on for an hour at a time (the timer has a button for this) which obviously doesn't maintain a contant heat through the house, especially during the night which can get very cold.

We can't switch it on 24/7 because the radiator without the valve will be on full blast all the time, even though we could turn down the others.

My dad has a system with individual thermostats in each room which works a treat, but I expect that would be expensive to retrofit, so the other option is a control box that allows you to to set the system so the heating comes on for 15mins each hour say for example.

Anyone got any ideas?

Is this just a naff system that's been installed?

Thanks for any suggestions

Dave.

Default Re: Central Heating Problem

The cheapest solution would be to just install a electronic wall thermostat somewhere suitable in the house. This just needs to go in series with the central heating supply. When the house reaches temperature, it turns off.

If the rooms reach temperature first, then the radiator thermostats take over.

Even better, buy a programmable thermostat - this enables to vary the temperature depending on the time of day. You could set it for 16C during the night, up to 21C in the morning, down to 18C during the day and back to 21C in the evening.

Being a HA fan, electrically operated valves for each zone or room is best but that will be £££

Which room is the radiator with out the Thermostatic valve in. I've come across these systems before. Normally the radiator is quite small and is in a toilet or shower room, and tends to get very hot. I think the reason is that there might be no temperature cut off on the boiler for the pump to stop. So if all radiators shut off, then the water would circulate round a very small route and get very very hot, and may cause a pressure build up.
    I agree with Jon about fitting an electronic wall thermostat or combined timer and thermostat. These are quite cheap now. Ranging from 25 pounds up. Just do a google for central heating control.
    Also take a look here http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html

Automated Home Lurker

Hi thanks for your suggestions, in fact I may have found the answer, by checking out the boilers instruction manual !
    The dial on the front only controls the water temperature for the radiators, bot the hot water, so just turning this right down and leaving the CH on all the time should do what I want.
    It probably won't put such a strain on the system as well, going from cold to screaming hot all the time.
    I'll try this out and see what happens, but it's been on all day today like this and it's fine, see what it's like overnight.
    Cheers

Dave.

Automated Home Jr Member

Another thing you can do is to get that radiator fitted with TRV as well and also get the "automatic pressure bypass".

The radiator without TRV is usually towel heater. The reason why in old systems there has to be at least 1 radiator without TRV is so the water can circulate around even when all TRVs shut off. I believe it stops pump being damaged. With the automatic pressure bypass fitted there is no problem. All new systems should really have it fitted.