Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's Going on Here?

Automated Home Legend

Default What's Going on Here?

My wife and I have spent the weekend looking round some newly built homes with a view to moving later on in the year. Whilst my wife was looking a things like cupboard space etc, I was looking carefully at the heating system. One showroom had 2 heating zones and an unvented hot water cylinder controlled by 3 ESI thermostats/programmers. I am struggling to understand how they all work together unless the two RF thermostats control just one zone each, and the third programmer in the airing cupboard is for hot water only. And my wife thinks that Evohome is complicated.

IMG_0995.jpgIMG_1001.jpg

The left hand box is in the hall and on the landing, and the other is in the airing cupboard. I can find nothing in the installation guide which suggests that they can be linked. I couldn't find any central controller.

Automated Home Legend

Hey, you at least know a simple answer!!

Automated Home Legend

There must be two receiver boxes somewhere but I couldn't spot them in the airing cupboard. I really need to speak to one of their plumbers. I am just trying to find out the 'art of the possible' re future automation should we decide to buy one of the houses.

Automated Home Ninja

Aren't they hardwired? What makes you think they are wireless?

Automated Home Legend

Opening the faceplate reveals the battery compartment.

http://www.esicontrols.co.uk/esrtp4rf.html

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Opening the faceplate reveals the battery compartment.

http://www.esicontrols.co.uk/esrtp4rf.html
    Doesn't mean it's wireless, many wired programmable roomstats have batteries in them. They just have a volt free contact in them to make/break circuit.

He's the wired version with the same battery compartment - http://www.esicontrols.co.uk/esrtp4.html

Automated Home Legend

Thanks. That would explain the missing receiver units.

Automated Home Ninja

Quote Originally Posted by HenGus View Post
    Thanks. That would explain the missing receiver units.
    Doesn't really explain why one is a Programmable stat and the other a single channel timer.

Is it possible they've messed up? I'd of thought really you'd have a programmable stat for each zone (So 2) then a single channel timer for the HW.

Automated Home Legend

Could the two programmable stats control two zone schedules, and the single channel timer is just for the HW schedule.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by bruce_miranda View Post
    Could the two programmable stats control two zone schedules, and the single channel timer is just for the HW schedule.
    Thatís my guess but it is a pretty unsophisticated way of controlling three zone valves.