• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ric
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Apr 2004

Wiring a projector

I know this isn't exactly home automation but it's something a lot of people will need to do at some point.

I plan to install a projector on the ceiling in the middle of a room with the amp and dvd player in one corner. I will need to take the video signal up to the projector. For this I will need composite/s-video connectors.

What I'm stuck with is what wire to use. I'll have to buy a length of (preferably) multi-cored wire and add the relavent plug(s) but what do I use and where do I buy it from?

Please help! :cry:
    Ric Charlton

always trying but not always successful
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Wiring a projector

Ric - from the wiring guide...

"For the run up to the projector mounted on the ceiling I used Delta 75-ohm min-coax. Each cable contains 4 coaxes and I ran 3 separate cables giving me 12 coaxes in total. This allows me to feed composite, S-video and component signals up to the projector."

and

"Although I ran 3 x multicore coaxs to the projector, if I was doing it now I would probably just go with CAT5 instead and use Keith Doxey's KAT5 units." ( www.kat5.tv )

See pics here...

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• HippyWarlock
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Apr 2004

You can buy SVideo cables at around 18 quid for 5m, upwards to silly prices.

Beware of signal degradation as length increases - proportional to quality of lead also. Look here:

And route away from power cables and preferably away from any AC circuitry.

If your gonna plug/unplug remember that if you paid the earth for gold plated connectors that gold soon scratches off.

Pinout data if ya wanna make a cable:
      S-VIDEO 4PIN MINI DIN

Pin
      1 Ground (Y)
      2 Ground (C)
      3 Y (Luminance = intensity + Sync.)
      4 C (Chrominance = color)

4 3

1 || 2

View to the solder sideof the male connector. || = Keyway
      **Signatures reduce bandwidth**

Comment

• Ric
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Apr 2004

Ideally I would like component RCA which is why the wiring guide didn't help a great deal. I have also seen a handy 5-core+twisted-pair cable on letsautomate which would have done the job perfectly, had it not been the for the use of coax which isn't really what you want for wiring a RCA plug.

Do you have any ideas on where to source the cable and any particular cable that is recommended?

I have thought about the KAT5 but I'm not sure that I can justify £75 for something that may make life a little easier and may not provide the same quality as the dedicated wiring.
        Ric Charlton

Comment

• Otto-Mate
          Founder
          • Jan 2004

Originally posted by Ric
          Ideally I would like component RCA which is why the wiring guide didn't help a great deal.
          I have component option to my projector as mentioned in the wiring guide as I have a total of 12 coaxes up there. You mention RCAs (are you in the US?) which are "phono" connectors yes?

Originally posted by Ric
          Do you have any ideas on where to source the cable and any particular cable that is recommended?.
          No idea currently. Have you Googled?

Originally posted by Ric
          I have thought about the KAT5 but I'm not sure that I can justify £75 for something that may make life a little easier and may not provide the same quality as the dedicated wiring.
          Depending on the length of your cable run, KAT5 might actually save money on cable and also potentially be higher quality than a long run of coax.

M.
          Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
          www.twitter.com/ottomate
          www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• jon00
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Jan 2004

Ric,

You can get S-Video (YC) cable from Bryant Broadcast. Part number is BD 2YCM. Download the cable part of their catalogue from http://www.bryant-broadcast.co.uk/do...w/dldbitemid.6

If you want multi-core video (ie composite and YC) then any of the Serial Digital Video cables are excellent for this purpose. Find the BD SD041 under video cables as an example.
            Jon

www.jon00.me.uk

Comment

• Ric
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Apr 2004

RCA aka phono plugs are te ones you tend to find on modern DLP projectors - 3x or component video.

It is possible to get adpter to transform the BNC plugs used with coax into RCA but it adds a stage of complication - ideally I would like to have a wallplate wit RCA sockets going to RCA plugs at the projector.

All very confusing :?
              Ric Charlton

Comment

• katman
                • Jan 2004

Hi Ric,

A bit confused by your comments about fitting cable into Phono plugs.

A phono plug is a co-axial connector in that its shield surrounds the signal pin. The cable you mention is ideal for fitting into Phono plugs as it is a mini coax about 4mm in diameter.

Quality wise, over the distances you are going to be using you will almost certainly not notice any difference between good quality multicore coax and a set of KAT5. Over long distances you will find that KAT5 will be more cost effective (with coax at almost £5 per metre) and will suffer less loss than the direct cable.

One videophile KAT5 user stated that a set of KAT5's used with almost a full box of CAT5 (approaching 300m) gave a better picture than a good quality 20m S-Video lead.

If you are attending UKHA2004 and can tear yourself away from the many other interesting stands and presentations I would be delighted to demonstrate all variant of KAT5 to you so that you can see the quality for yourself.

Regards

Keith
                KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
                http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• Ric
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Apr 2004

OK - I'm still struggling a little... every time I think that I've sussed what I'm going to do another spanner gets thrown in the works! :?

As I see it, KAT5 distributs signals as S-VIDEO. This means that it's out of the equation for the component signal since it would defeat the point in using the higher quality input in the first place.

For the component I can use the special 5-core AV coax with crimp-on BNC flugs and gender-benders to make them RCA. This will leave the 2 twisted pairs and 2 extra coax.

Obviously, not everything uses component so I will also need to wire another input method. The obvious choice would be component since I would be able to use one of the spare coax however S-VIDEO is higher quality. This would require another cable run - although there is a chance I could use the twisted pairs with a KAT5.

It's very complicated this lark! :?

Any ideas?
                  Ric Charlton

Comment

• katman
                    • Jan 2004

Hi Ric,

the standard KAT5 units carry S-Video (or composite) and Stereo as that is 4 signals and there are only 4 pairs in a CAT5 cable.

I can also do custom versions with 4 video channels suitable for RGBS or Component + Composite or 2 x S-Video etc. Obviously by having 4 video signals there is then no audio capability but for a projector you only need video anyway.

Several people have RGB sets specifically for driving projectors or plasma screens where the audio is handled by a separate sound system.

Hope that helps

Keith

KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
                    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

Working...
                    X