• bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Quite clever

Comment

• paulockenden
      Automated Home Legend
      • Apr 2015

There's a blending valve between the tank and the boiler which I'll set to about 55 degrees. That way I can take the tank up to quite a high temp in the summer.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

If you could draw this, this could be the direction I take, when I need to change.

Comment

• paulockenden
          Automated Home Legend
          • Apr 2015

let me see if it works first!

P.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
            Not sure whether to do this via the immersion, or from the boiler (the guys are also connecting the coil in the tank to the heating side of the boiler via a zone valve. I thought I'd re-use my existing Evohome DHW kit to monitor/control this.
            The immersion element, entering at the top (I presume ?) will not heat all the water. It will only heat water as far down as it reaches and the rest below that will remain pretty much cold. So unless the immersion element was near the bottom along with the indirect heat exchanger, it wouldn't be suitable for killing Legionella.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

No, it's a side-mounted immersion, near the bottom. Although the tank is quite short being only 120L - I don't think stratification will be as much of a problem as it would with a tall cylinder. It's 90cm tall by 55cm wide. Dumpy little thing.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                Automated Home Legend
                • Sep 2014

My tank is only 90 litres and stratification is definitely still a thing. The immersion element is mounted from the top and only heats about the top third of the cylinder, the rest stays cold!

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

If it becomes an issue I'll put a de-strat pump in. Would need to be bronze because this is potable water.

But I don't think it'll be a problem - the immersion is just above the coil.

Comment

• paulockenden
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Apr 2015

BTW, plumbers couldn't believe the existing setup here. 1950s house. Inch and a quarter hot and cold pipes from the tanks in the loft, two inch overflow. They said it's the kind of setup you'd expect to see in a school, not a domestic property (it's not an especially big house). We now know why it took so long to get hot water to the kitchen tap!

I said they could have the scrap, which helped!

P.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jul 2014

I once had a plumber who suggested that all main pipework be 28mm and all radiator circuits 22mm with the 15mm just to the radiator. Sounds like a certain plumber school.

Comment

• G4RHL
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Jan 2015

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                        Nope. Combi. But with (when the sun's shining) hot water being fed to the boiler on the DHW side, so the boiler doesn't have to add much/any heat.

Not all boilers allow this, but Intergas is fine with up to 60 degrees.
                        Sounds like a nice approach. Not sure I would copy it though as my DHW is only on for 1.5 hours per day and a bigger aspect - I don’t have any solar panels! Like getting a new boiler in my case, the savings don’t match the installation cost for many years and when they do it seems in many cases it is time to replace again. You never save - although Intergas I suspect will have a much better life expectancy than the stuff BG and many others want to supply you with.

Comment

• paulockenden
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Apr 2015

Damn, looks like the extremely talented bunch of cowboys that initially installed my system a couple of years ago didn’t leave the other sensor for the hot water kit - I’ve only got the strap-on, which won’t work with the new tank. Grrrr.....

Comment

• darrendobson
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Nov 2015

Originally posted by chrisgare View Post
                            I was told that new regulations demand a 22mm gas pipe to the boiler. My meter is on the outside of the house but luckily it is near the boiler. Unfortunately, my electric meter is on the opposite side of the house so it was not possible to 'earth' the gas pipe which caused an issue when I had to update the earthing cable around the fuse box as I refused to have a cable around 3/4 of the outside of my house or have the whole ground floor up! It ended up as a recommendation in the certificate only.

Note: dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.
                            Chris did they really only flush for 30 mins? That is not sufficient. your system looked in bad condition judging by that magnacleanse

22mm pipe is not a regulation across the entire boiler industry

Worcester instructions require you to have 22mm for a 24 ri but you always calculate pipe size depending on what boiler you have

Comment

• bruce_miranda
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Jul 2014

The size of the gas main is largely dependant on the distance from the meter and the size of the boiler during operation. I needed a 28mm pipe which was reduced to 22mm and then finally 15mm to enter the boiler. But that was to satisfy the full 38Kw load. I run my boiler at 18Kw, which doesn't need the 28mm, but it's installed, should it be needed. And it's not just diameter and length of pipe that matters, every angle and bend also needs to be taken into the calculation.

Comment

• chrisgare
                                Automated Home Guru
                                • Dec 2013

Originally posted by darrendobson View Post
                                Chris did they really only flush for 30 mins? That is not sufficient. your system looked in bad condition judging by that magnacleanse

22mm pipe is not a regulation across the entire boiler industry

Worcester instructions require you to have 22mm for a 24 ri but you always calculate pipe size depending on what boiler you have
                                The next week, I took every radiator off the wall individually; took them outside, turned them upside down and flushed them out with a high pressure water hose. My garden turned black but boy did my radiators get hot afterwards! Highly recommended.

Comment

Working...
                                X