Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Default New boiler day

Is it wrong to feel excited?

P.

Automated Home Guru

It's just sad...

Here was my boiler update: http://www.mygasconsumption.com/upgrade.htm

It made a mega differance to our household.

Chris

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by chrisgare View Post
    It's just sad...

Here was my boiler update: http://www.mygasconsumption.com/upgrade.htm

It made a mega differance to our household.

Chris
    Magna flush only 30 minutes! Every radiator in my 19 radiator home was flushed through separately. It took a day and half with a large increase in my metered water bill.

I was also surprised by how much gas my old boiler pilot light used.

Automated Home Ninja

Chris, you're somewhere near me... judging from your plumber's van!

Automated Home Legend

Interesting resume. Thanks. The bit that troubles me is the concept of needing to upgrade the gas supply pipe. My boiler is coming up to 21 years old. Same age as the house. At the current boiler end of the supply the pipe looks to be the smaller 15mm although my service engineer mentioned it is possible that once it is exposed it may be it is stepped down to that. If it isn’t it will present a big problem as my meter is outside at the front of the house; the last thing I want is an ugly great gas pipe running across the front and round the outside of the house. I am not sure it will be possible to bring it under the floor in my case.

May have to abandon the thought of a Combi boiler. Then what? Go electric!!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by G4RHL View Post
    Interesting resume. Thanks. The bit that troubles me is the concept of needing to upgrade the gas supply pipe. My boiler is coming up to 21 years old. Same age as the house. At the current boiler end of the supply the pipe looks to be the smaller 15mm although my service engineer mentioned it is possible that once it is exposed it may be it is stepped down to that. If it isn’t it will present a big problem as my meter is outside at the front of the house; the last thing I want is an ugly great gas pipe running across the front and round the outside of the house. I am not sure it will be possible to bring it under the floor in my case.

May have to abandon the thought of a Combi boiler. Then what? Go electric!!
    I was told that new regulations demand a 22mm gas pipe to the boiler. My meter is on the outside of the house but luckily it is near the boiler. Unfortunately, my electric meter is on the opposite side of the house so it was not possible to 'earth' the gas pipe which caused an issue when I had to update the earthing cable around the fuse box as I refused to have a cable around 3/4 of the outside of my house or have the whole ground floor up! It ended up as a recommendation in the certificate only.

Note: dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.

Automated Home Ninja

dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.
    Sorted....

Automated Home Jr Member

I was told that new regulations demand a 22mm gas pipe to the boiler. My meter is on the outside of the house but luckily it is near the boiler. Unfortunately, my electric meter is on the opposite side of the house so it was not possible to 'earth' the gas pipe which caused an issue when I had to update the earthing cable around the fuse box as I refused to have a cable around 3/4 of the outside of my house or have the whole ground floor up! It ended up as a recommendation in the certificate only.

Note: dty I can't send you a private msg as you private msg box is full it seems.
    Chris did they really only flush for 30 mins? That is not sufficient. your system looked in bad condition judging by that magnacleanse

22mm pipe is not a regulation across the entire boiler industry

Worcester instructions require you to have 22mm for a 24 ri but you always calculate pipe size depending on what boiler you have

Automated Home Legend

The size of the gas main is largely dependant on the distance from the meter and the size of the boiler during operation. I needed a 28mm pipe which was reduced to 22mm and then finally 15mm to enter the boiler. But that was to satisfy the full 38Kw load. I run my boiler at 18Kw, which doesn't need the 28mm, but it's installed, should it be needed. And it's not just diameter and length of pipe that matters, every angle and bend also needs to be taken into the calculation.

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by darrendobson View Post
    Chris did they really only flush for 30 mins? That is not sufficient. your system looked in bad condition judging by that magnacleanse

22mm pipe is not a regulation across the entire boiler industry

Worcester instructions require you to have 22mm for a 24 ri but you always calculate pipe size depending on what boiler you have
    The next week, I took every radiator off the wall individually; took them outside, turned them upside down and flushed them out with a high pressure water hose. My garden turned black but boy did my radiators get hot afterwards! Highly recommended.