Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: New boiler day

Automated Home Legend

OpenTherm I hope ?

Automated Home Legend

So it's being set up as a System Boiler then?

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Nope. Combi. But with (when the sun's shining) hot water being fed to the boiler on the DHW side, so the boiler doesn't have to add much/any heat.

Not all boilers allow this, but Intergas is fine with up to 60 degrees.

Automated Home Legend

What are the advantages of running it in this configuration as opposed to a Stored HW solution? Is it simply that you aren't wasting any energy by Storing it, until you actually need it? Also how does the Header tank gets mains pressure? Is that pressurised?

Advantage is that the tank doesn't need to be kept at a set temperature, so I can use my PV mop-up in an effective manner.

It's not a header tank - it's a 120L unvented cylinder, just before the boiler DHW input. At mains pressure.

So if there's been no/little sun the tank might be quite cool and the boiler will go full-pelt. But if it's been sunny the boiler might not need to come on at all.

I'll be monitoring temps in the tank, and if it hasn't had a consistent 60+ for an hour over the past 7 days I'll run a manual legionella cycle. Not sure whether to do this via the immersion, or from the boiler (the guys are also connecting the coil in the tank to the heating side of the boiler via a zone valve. I thought I'd re-use my existing Evohome DHW kit to monitor/control this.

Automated Home Legend

Quite clever

There's a blending valve between the tank and the boiler which I'll set to about 55 degrees. That way I can take the tank up to quite a high temp in the summer.

Automated Home Legend

If you could draw this, this could be the direction I take, when I need to change.

let me see if it works first!

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Not sure whether to do this via the immersion, or from the boiler (the guys are also connecting the coil in the tank to the heating side of the boiler via a zone valve. I thought I'd re-use my existing Evohome DHW kit to monitor/control this.
    The immersion element, entering at the top (I presume ?) will not heat all the water. It will only heat water as far down as it reaches and the rest below that will remain pretty much cold. So unless the immersion element was near the bottom along with the indirect heat exchanger, it wouldn't be suitable for killing Legionella.