• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Evohome Weather

Does anybody know where Evohome gets its weather information from? I ask as it never seems to be quite right. This morning for example my watch tells me the outside temperature is 11C at present, my outdoor sensor (Elgato Eve) says the same, the BBC Weather app says its the same. The Evohome app says it is 9C. I have noticed this sort of discrepancy ever since I installed Evohome (2014) but if ever the app/system was updated to take account of outside temperature readings it currently exhibits with the internal requirements, then a 2C difference could be quite an issue. Thankfully at present it doesn't do this. Not it seems without an outside sensor directly connected in some way.
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

I think the outside weather comes from openweathermap.org

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

I think you have never compared different weather services closely before like I have.

Disagreement of up to a few degrees between different services (and also with my own carefully positioned outdoor sensor) is pretty common!

I have:

1) Outdoor sensor
      2) WeatherPro app on iPhone (probably the most accurate forecast)
      3) Default iphone apple weather app
      4) Evohome controller
      5) Evohome iPhone app (which uses a different service to the controller)
      6) My evohome munin graphs which graph my room temperatures also graphs outdoor temp from weather.com

At times all of them disagree with each other by up to a few degrees...

The only two I really take notice of are my own sensor or if I'm not at home, Weatherpro. The rest are of questionable accuracy. Many suffer from overly broad areas (one temperature reading is actually covering a large area that should have multiple separate reports due to local micro climates) or delays of up to a few hours in updates to the temperature - different amounts of lag between the different reports can cause apparent discrepancies when the temperature is falling or increasing rapidly.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 19 June 2018, 08:35 AM.

Comment

• bruce_miranda
        Automated Home Legend
        • Jul 2014

I too trust my own outdoor sensor and it's probably a feature I still miss from the previous generation Evohome, where there was an outdoor sensor device that you could buy, or you could fool the controller to thinking there was an Evohome outdoor sensor using a HGI80.
        Even with all of this information my wife will still open the door or window and stick her arm out to decide what to wear and she tends to be right. So I guess as long as you can trust the information you are given to make a decision, you shouldn't really care too much what it says

Comment

• G4RHL
          Automated Home Legend
          • Jan 2015

The devices or apps I usually check are generally consistent (Elgato, Apple via the watch, BBC Weather). The one that never is, is what Evohome displays. The one I do trust is the Elgato as it is outside my house plus I can check it anywhere in the world. I suppose it is like the time Evohome syncs with, that is always out by a couple of minutes!

Comment

Working...
          X