Best way to run cables without making too much mess?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stubbs
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Jan 2004

Best way to run cables without making too much mess?

I live in the UK and our house was built in the 80's, so it's mostly plasterboard on the inside & breezeblock/brick on the outside. The gap in the outside wall has been filled with insulation and there are no risers anywhere in the house.

What's the bast way to run a network cable from the ground floor to the loft? In the past I drilled holes in the wall & ran it down the cavity but that's blocked now.

I want to run proper cable because I'm pig sick of PowerLAN /PowerLine & wifi repeaters tend to be just as bad.

Do I have any other options that running the cable up the outside of the house & is there any cat5/6 cable that's UV resistant, or will I also need a pipe to run it in?
    -S
  • IanIreland
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Mar 2018

Are there any water pipes you could follow?

Comment

• toscal
      • Oct 2005

I have used skirting board style conduit and then used cupboards etc to get to another floor, might be an option. What type of floors do you have.
      IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
      Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

One thing I do when running powerline stuff is to turn off the sleep mode. This can be done with the powerline utility program. I did this on my set up and it stopped almost all of the problems overnight. It does mean that the modules are on all the time.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• JKen
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2018

I've also had this problem when Virgin said "no we can't put your wires on the 2nd floor" so they left it on the ground floor... It really depends, but if the wire will run on the back wall I would just drill one hole near the back door upwards, go to the loft, send that wire down, put it through the hole and use cable ties to lock it in place on the water lines.

For Cables check: Cabling4Less Outdoor Cat5e UTP Network/Ethernet Cable, the PE jacket gives protection against UV light and Moisture
          Cable Warehouse are a UK based distributor of power cords, computer cables and networking products. Up to 25% discount, buy online at Cable Warehouse.

Comment

• Stevedh
            Automated Home Guru
            • Mar 2017

Very late reply, but I built a cupboard in the corner of a room in which I put my distribution board and router, nas etc. The cupboard is the full height of the room, so lots of wires going up to a hole in the ceiling and a load down to one in the floor. I was lucky though that this house bare when I moved in so could lift floorboard etc. But all hidden in the cupboard. I was unlucky though that this was a while ago so all my cabling is cat5.

Comment

Working...
            X