Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Monitoring pipe temperatures

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Default Monitoring pipe temperatures

What does everyone use for monitoring / logging various pipe temperatures?

Ideally I'm looking for something wireless, but that's not essential. Need to be able to log maybe four or five places.

Any recommendations (or things to avoid) would be greatly appreciated.

P.

Automated Home Ninja

I might need something similar soon to decide when to power a secondary return pump.

Automated Home Legend

Your Orange Pi OT monitor?

That's one part of the equation. But I’d like some sensors that I can stick on various pipes around the house, probably battery powered and all feeding into some kind of database.

Pretty sure there are people here that have done this.
    Last edited by paulockenden; 3rd June 2018 at 11:08 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Oh around the house. I thought they were all close to the system. If battery then it will have to be some low powered radio. This might be a stupid idea, but I have used it - use an old HR80 or similar as a temperature sensor. I used to use this to measure my loft. Without it needing to drive a motor, the batteries last a long time. And your HGI80 will feed these straight into Domoticz.

For monitoring pipe temperatures you need something that'll report more frequently than an HR80.

Automated Home Jr Member

I've used BlueMaestro Tempo disc sensors for logging room temperatures - they're fairly inexpensive, at least relative to other things I considered, and seem to work quite well. The logging interval is configurable to a maximum rate of once per minute (possibly not fast enough?). An iOS or Android phone is needed to collect the data from them, via Bluetooth.

They're free-standing, designed to rest on a horizontal surface, so might need a bit of fiddling to make them work effectively/accurately on a pipe.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    What does everyone use for monitoring / logging various pipe temperatures? P.
    I can’t resist it! My hand!

Automated Home Guru

Quote Originally Posted by dty View Post
    I might need something similar soon to decide when to power a secondary return pump.
    I've used one of these:
    https://us.grundfos.com/products/fin...uct/up-10.html

It has a pipe temperature sensor on the end of a ribbon cable which you strap onto the pipe. The Auto version is very clever at running only when it needs to. It also learns over a seven day period your hot water usage and so pre-empts the need to warm up your pipework.

I know I sound like a salesman for Grundfos - which I promise you I am not - but I was very pleasantly surprised how well this works. I had thought I would need a timer and some clever temperature sensing kit on my pipes but I don't need any of that.

Automated Home Jr Member

How about an arduino based system using something like MySensors (https://www.mysensors.org/)? I haven't used it specifically for pipe temperatures, but have a few of these dotted round the place monitoring temperature and humidity etc, posting to an mqtt broker. The system has been quite robust, and reporting can be as frequent as you need.