X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

Hmmm... the whole POINT of Evohome is no long cable runs.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
      What about the 8 metre run of cable under the floor from the evotouch power transformer located in my wiring centre box in the boiler closet to the wall mount base in the hallway where the evotouch sits ?

Not everything can or has to be wireless. It's enough that the radiator valves are wireless IMHO, I don't care if there is a bit of extra wire from my hot water cylinder to my hot water zone valve even if they weren't already both right next to each other.

Besides, most traditional control systems that Evohome would be replacing would already have a hard wired connection from the hot water cylinder sensor back to the zone valve.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 15 July 2018, 08:34 PM.

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
        Is it? That was not what attracted me to Evohome at all. I liked the idea of a multi-zone control system that gave me flexible scheduling and remote access via my phone and (eventually) via my PC. I saw the wireless components as downsides, not as an attraction. I would have been happier to hard wire all my wall thermostats.

It is the wireless element of Evohome that I see as its biggest weakness and the most frequent cause of problems with its operation. The hot water (DHW) control via a wireless battery-powered CS92 is the most extreme example of an unreliable component. I like DBM's suggestion of a mains powered combined BDR91 / CS 92 which would be a huge improvement.
        Last edited by Edinburgh2000; 17 July 2018, 08:36 AM.

Comment

• gordonb3
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Dec 2016

If you're a bit handy yourself, this might be an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa18...szHaYC&index=1

and here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kMedqDSdg
          Last edited by gordonb3; 18 July 2018, 02:13 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

Originally posted by gordonb3 View Post
            If you're a bit handy yourself, this might be an idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sa18...szHaYC&index=1

and here's another one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H3kMedqDSdg
            The issue is not so much that the CS92 is battery powered - it's a combination of unreliable wireless comms (for Evohome in general) and the battery saving algorithm in the CS92 that is very stingy about when and how often it sends temperature updates, so if a transmission is lost at an inopportune time (like the temperature update that would indicate to the Evotouch that the hot water is now up to temperature) it can be 20 minutes or more before another update is sent by which time a large overshoot can occur.

Neither of these issues is solved by adding a mains operated battery substitute as the battery saving algorithm will still be in effect, and the device will still be using wireless comms.

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

With an external PSU I wonder whether you actually /could/ make the comms more frequent by power cycling the thing every couple of minutes. I seem to remember that it sends an updated temp every time it powers up.

(Although that's such a nasty hack it could be classed as cheating!)

Comment

• gordonb3
                Automated Home Ninja
                • Dec 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                The issue is not so much that the CS92 is battery powered - it's a combination of unreliable wireless comms (for Evohome in general) and the battery saving algorithm in the CS92 that is very stingy about when and how often it sends temperature updates, so if a transmission is lost at an inopportune time (like the temperature update that would indicate to the Evotouch that the hot water is now up to temperature) it can be 20 minutes or more before another update is sent by which time a large overshoot can occur.

Neither of these issues is solved by adding a mains operated battery substitute as the battery saving algorithm will still be in effect, and the device will still be using wireless comms.
                Aha. I see. But is that battery saving algorithm always in effect, or does it depend on the battery capacity? I mean, on my phone the saving algorithm only kicks in when remaining capacity gets below 30%.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Sep 2014

Judging by the frequency of updates even with brand new batteries, it's always in effect.

Comment

Working...
                  X