• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • g6ejd
    Automated Home Guru
    • Oct 2016

UK EPC - Energy Performance Certificate - Evohome not listed

I recently had my home assessed for energy usage and to gain an EPC required for solar panel installations if you want to claim and receive the feed in tariff. When the assessor arrived and came to assess the heating he could only classify my Evohome as a basic low scoring system because Honeywell have not registered any of their products, not believing this I asked him if he could widen his search and sure enough not one single Honeywell heating controller existed, but all the other brands did!

So after some debate and a call to his office it was finally decided and somewhat reluctantly to override the assessment for the Evohome system fitted to be an advanced heating controller for this property it meant moving from a C to B rating.

I thought I’d let UK home owner with an Evohome fitted that they need to engage with the assessor or get a basic low scoring assessment.

I’ve advised Honeywell via their help desk of the problem but they sent me back a list of their products based on their own energy assessments ranked as A through F but this missed the point, a language/ comprehension issue I think.
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

There was another long thread about this very issue, a couple of months back.

Comment

• g6ejd
      Automated Home Guru
      • Oct 2016

Thanks, I missed that. It confirms what I now know that although Hive, Nest, Drayton and just about all other suppliers of energy management equipment have registered their products Honeywell have not. I feel slightly indigent with the EPC process when it's so inflexible to the obvious even more so when I have evidence that Evohome (after 2 years of usage data) has reduced our gas consumption by 15% and yet made the home so much more comfortable - a win-win, but as good as it is, for EPC purposes it may as well be a basic heating controller. I shall keep up the crusade with Honeywell to get them to go through the product registration process, which they have clearly forgotten to do and it's in their favour to do so to gain market awareness of the benefits of fitting an Evohome system.

Comment

• HenGus
        Automated Home Legend
        • May 2014

Originally posted by g6ejd View Post
        I recently had my home assessed for energy usage and to gain an EPC required for solar panel installations if you want to claim and receive the feed in tariff. When the assessor arrived and came to assess the heating he could only classify my Evohome as a basic low scoring system because Honeywell have not registered any of their products, not believing this I asked him if he could widen his search and sure enough not one single Honeywell heating controller existed, but all the other brands did!

So after some debate and a call to his office it was finally decided and somewhat reluctantly to override the assessment for the Evohome system fitted to be an advanced heating controller for this property it meant moving from a C to B rating.

I thought I’d let UK home owner with an Evohome fitted that they need to engage with the assessor or get a basic low scoring assessment.

I’ve advised Honeywell via their help desk of the problem but they sent me back a list of their products based on their own energy assessments ranked as A through F but this missed the point, a language/ comprehension issue I think.
        Are you saying that your EA rolled over and upgraded the EPC? I ask because I have raised this with BRE ( the organization that produces the RdSAP/SAP database) and my EA’s professional body. BRE is adamant that Honeywell has not submitted Evohome for accreditation and therefore it has to be treated as a single zone controller with standard TRVs. BRE has also said that there is as yet no evidence that smart heating controls equate to energy savings. There is also general scepticism about ErP assessments which are self certified by manufacturers.

FWIW, I had 2 independent EPC assessments carried out and both assessors came up with the same rating of 80/C. The second EPC was reviewed by the accreditation body.

PS. Having just sold my house (we move next week), I can honestly say that my buyer liked the look of Evohome and my Atag boiler but he took no interest whatsoever in the EPC.
        Last edited by HenGus; 17 July 2018, 09:46 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X