Thread: AV Distribution

Automated Home Lurker

Default AV Distribution

We would like to have all of our input devices (SKY+, DVD and video) hidden in a cupboard, we would then like this to be distributed to ideally 3 bedrooms and the lounge, now having read about the KAT5 products that are currently available, my understanding is that this could be done, but then we wouldn't be able to watch say a video in the bedroom and a DVD in the lounge, I guess that is my 1st question. Having said that I notice that an AV switcher is being developed, and I believe that this would enable us to do this, my 2nd, 3rd and 4th question are When do you anticpate this being available, what is the likely cost and what could I do to prepare for this - I assume that it would just be a case of routing a length of CAT5 to each destination and in fact we could distribute via transmitter and receiver/s and then switch to the AV switcher once available.

Default Re: AV Distribution

Quote Originally Posted by NEWSELFBUILD
    We would like to have all of our input devices (SKY+, DVD and video) hidden in a cupboard, we would then like this to be distributed to ideally 3 bedrooms and the lounge, now having read about the KAT5 products that are currently available, my understanding is that this could be done, but then we wouldn't be able to watch say a video in the bedroom and a DVD in the lounge, I guess that is my 1st question.
    You could do this with a KAT5 receiver in each room and a KAT5 transmitter connected to each source. You would need to manually patch the correct transmitter to the appropriate receiver which is a bit inconvienient.

Having said that I notice that an AV switcher is being developed, and I believe that this would enable us to do this,
    Yes. That is exactly what the switcher is intended to do. You can also feed KAT5 transmitters from any commercially available switcher so that may be an option.

my 2nd, 3rd and 4th question are When do you anticpate this being available, what is the likely cost and what could I do to prepare for this - I assume that it would just be a case of routing a length of CAT5 to each destination and in fact we could distribute via transmitter and receiver/s and then switch to the AV switcher once available.
    I am working on the switcher at the moment but I cant give a definate date or price just yet.

You will need one CAT5 cable from the switcher to each room.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv