Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Adding thermaskirt to a room where we have a single zone evohome

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Adding thermaskirt to a room where we have a single zone evohome

Hi,

So I have an existing Intergas/Evohome single zone system. Evohome control is the Evohome WiFi with a BDR91 relay controlling boiler.

I am now about to install thermaskirt to two rooms. They have supplied two wired thermostats, with electronic control valves.

I really want wireless thermostats. Ideally, I would add these two rooms as two extra zones 'in' my Evohome.

Is this possible? What hardware would I need to buy?

Any pointers/suggestions of what to search for, greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

David

Automated Home Jr Member

Ok....so my question was clearly poorly formed. My research suggests that for each room I need a DT92E Thermostat, a MT8 Acutator (to control the supply to the thermaskirt) and a BDR91 relay.

Will this work? Specifically I want each room to trigger the actuator and call for heat from the heat source, when the thermostat triggers?

Will my evohome controller do this? Specifically, will the controller call for heat until all of the temperature sensors signify they have reached the correct temperature?

I am trying to ensure that I have a feasible proposal before approaching any installers

Thanks in advance

Automated Home Lurker

Hi David, I am new to this forum but have completed more than 200 evohome installs I may be able to help a bit. Am I correct in thinking the skirting heating is simply a pipe loop within the skirting enclosure with a control unit at one end ?

Automated Home Sr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mac4 View Post
    Hi David, I am new to this forum but have completed more than 200 evohome installs I may be able to help a bit. Am I correct in thinking the skirting heating is simply a pipe loop within the skirting enclosure with a control unit at one end ?
    You'll have to let us all know how good thermaskirt is... I am having a new floor put in all over the place and was considering UFH, but...

Automated Home Jr Member

Mmmh….it has a feed/return mechanism at one end, this can have an ugly thermostat TRV on it to control, however, I have opted to have a concealed actuator valve. I think I have a solution now....

I need a wireless thermostat (Honeywell Y87RF) for the room which I plan to bind to my evohome as a sensor. I also need a BDR91 relay to operate the Actuator valve which I will also bind to the evohome.

I imagine that these two bindings will form a zone!, but have not quite got that bottomed out.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by Jabes View Post
    You'll have to let us all know how good thermaskirt is... I am having a new floor put in all over the place and was considering UFH, but...
    I will.....I am intrigued as well.....I imagine January 2019 I will either be warm, smug and happy or cold and miserable

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

The trouble with using an BDR91 is that you won't get 'proper' proportional control (only fake proportional using on/off periods). You also won't get the room learning stuff that at HR92 gives.

Is there no way to hide an HR92 somewhere out of sight? I think it would give better control.

Automated Home Lurker

Yes that will do it, just bind it as a zone valve in zone options. Not to be confused with system devices. When that zone calls for heat it will send a signal to open the heating zone valve if you have one or boiler via a BDR91. Hope you understand.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes that will do it, just bind it as a zone valve in zone options. Not to be confused with system devices. When that zone calls for heat it will send a signal to open the heating zone valve if you have one or boiler via a BDR91. Hope you understand.
    Yes....I do understand. Thanks. Exciting!

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    The trouble with using an BDR91 is that you won't get 'proper' proportional control (only fake proportional using on/off periods). You also won't get the room learning stuff that at HR92 gives.

Is there no way to hide an HR92 somewhere out of sight? I think it would give better control.
    Hmmm...not sure I really understand proportional control. Hiding an HR92 doesn't sound good. Presumably it would not reflect the temperature of the room. I expected/hoped the 'clever' optimisation would be around what temperature the thermostat reported...ie bring heating (BDR19 for the thermaskirt) on early if the temp was low and evohome 'knew' it takes time to heat the room to the desired temp.