• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jeremyr
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2018

Sonoff

I cant seem to find much about Sonoff on here.

I am doing a new build and looking at this system to integrate with Alexa.

The components are cheap ( £12 ish for a light switch, similar to switch a mains supply ) and the app seems to support scenes, times, Alexa integration etc.

The main drawback seems that it needs the internet so should that fail you loose your automation until restored - which does not seem a disaster.

I wondered if anyone had any experience / comments. To me it seems a good way to build a fairly economical system.

I am proposing to automate most lights and a swimming pool pump / heater. I dont wish to turn on and off appliances.

Any guidance / drawbacks appreciated
  • dcreager
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Nov 2014

So, I have actually used sonoff a lot. I automated my swimming pool pump and boiler, drive lights and an upstairs electric radiator. I find them pretty good. Alexa works as well.

I use Smartthings with community written handlers and firmware for them.

A big bonus for me was the TH16 Sonoff switch for the pump, it blew the lower rated versions

My units have been in place over a year and I had my first 'dropped wifi' a few weeks ago. I just powered it on and off and it was all ok (It was on the drive lights)

Comment

• jeremyr
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2018

Originally posted by dcreager View Post
      So, I have actually used sonoff a lot. I automated my swimming pool pump and boiler, drive lights and an upstairs electric radiator. I find them pretty good. Alexa works as well.

I use Smartthings with community written handlers and firmware for them.

A big bonus for me was the TH16 Sonoff switch for the pump, it blew the lower rated versions

My units have been in place over a year and I had my first 'dropped wifi' a few weeks ago. I just powered it on and off and it was all ok (It was on the drive lights)
      Thank you.

I have just had a unit arrive ( 2 gang wall switch) which I installed set up on eweelink and connected to Alexa in about 30 mins.

There is now LAN option to control locally - but my switch is not compatible for some reason. It is quite "funny" that the light-switch has firmware and get an update when you connect it :-)

Seem responsive so I will now order a box of the things for the new house.

Comment

• dcreager
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Nov 2014

Cool....sounds good. Do the wall switches require neutral?

Comment

• jeremyr
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Sep 2018

Yes. However all my sockets have neural anyway ( built 18 months ago ) and new one will have neutral also.

Comment

Working...
          X