Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: 2 Evohomes that can't find any wifi

Automated Home Legend

Given this may be the second faulty unit you have received, can they not send you one in advance of returning the old one so you are not without heating ?

Automated Home Jr Member

Apologies if you have tried all this stuff.

Have you looked at this from the router end of things?

I think the evohome controller works on 802.11b,g,n i.e. it does both 2.4 GHz a 5 GHz frequencies. Do you have both enabled?

I know its a joke but have you powered the router down for 30 seconds and then rebooted it ? Sometimes routers stop allowing new connections while existing connections continue to work and "Switching it off and on again" really does fix things. I do understand if you have teenage kids their world will end if you need to switch the internet for more than 5 ms.

Have you checked the signal strength in the area ? I have an app on my android phone call WiFi Analyzer (Open Source) - (its free) allows me to see all the wifi signals around and what strength they are on a graph. It might show if you have a particular problem with weak or clashing WiFi channels in that area.

Can you take the controller closer to the router during the connection setup? Does that change things?

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by Old_Codger View Post
    I think the evohome controller works on 802.11b,g,n i.e. it does both 2.4 GHz a 5 GHz frequencies. Do you have both enabled?
    Actually the Evotouch supports 802.11 b/g/n but only on 2.4Ghz.

Not sure off hand whether it only supports the older WPA/TKIP encryption or whether it also supports WPA2/AES encryption, I think it does support both.

Not being able to connect to or even see the personal hotspot of a phone eliminates most of the other possibilities you've suggested. It really does look like faulty Evotouch units.

Automated Home Jr Member

OK. The only the thing to suggest is are you in a WiFi Shadow spot ? I have a place in my kitchen where I often loose WiFi. It is directly in line with a largish steel column which holds the extension up. Everywhere else can "see" the router with good signal strength. After that it does sound like you're talking to Honeywell again.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

If you read all of the messages in the thread you'll see that the OP said this happens with the controller sitting on top of his WiFi router.

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    If you read all of the messages in the thread you'll see that the OP said this happens with the controller sitting on top of his WiFi router.
    Apologies, i missed that on the first read of the thread, I was only try to help the OP.

Automated Home Lurker

yeah, really went with the evohome to my modem and placed it on top, i also changed my settings that my modem only send on 2.4 & I even deleted the wifi password, still no find.
    What really is strange, is that both evohome's can't detect any wifi network, not my wifi, the homespot, my android hotspot, my neighbours wifi, ...
    Last friday I took the evohome to my work and it also didn't detect any wifi network, it just black after it's search, I also tried to manually add the wifi ssid & then the password but still no go

thx to everyone for your suggestions

Automated Home Jr Member

Quote Originally Posted by siemensje View Post
    yeah, really went with the evohome to my modem and placed it on top, i also changed my settings that my modem only send on 2.4 & I even deleted the wifi password, still no find.
    What really is strange, is that both evohome's can't detect any wifi network, not my wifi, the homespot, my android hotspot, my neighbours wifi, ...
    Last friday I took the evohome to my work and it also didn't detect any wifi network, it just black after it's search, I also tried to manually add the wifi ssid & then the password but still no go

thx to everyone for your suggestions
    Taking it to work and it still not being able to see a wifi signal really says it all! Good Luck with Honeywell.....

Automated Home Legend

Silly question, have you tried rebooting it ?

While off the base, pop the front cover off and part the batteries for a few moments.