• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • siemensje
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2018

2 Evohomes that can't find any wifi

Hello,

So i bought myself the evohome package with 4 controlls for the heating.
    In my house i'm able to control the 4 different rooms.
    So when I go in to the wifi settings of my Evohome, it keeps on searching for wifi networks & after 3 minutes it shows me a blank result screen.
    I thought it was broken because all my other wireless devices are connected to my wifi & I can see my neighbours wifi also. So i sended it back.

After 2 weeks I got a mail that they will renew my Evohome & one day later the post deliverd it.
    I'm sure it's new, not only from the package it was in, but also it had a new serial number that you find when taking off the front cover.
    So charged it for like 36h & went straight back to the wifi setup again, but I get the same result .... no wifi signals detected.
    I changed my router to channel 1, 6 or 11 on 2.4gh, still can't find a thing.
    Then I read on the internet that someone got it to work with a older router, so went searching in my basement & founded a almost 10 years old router with only 2.4gh, configured it with my laptop & again tried all of the wifi channels, but still my Evohome finds nothing.
    And after the Evohome searches for wifi, you have the ability to enter your ssid name manualy, but this also doesn't work.
    Any suggestions, i really don't know what more I can try!!!

thx & sorry for my english spelling
  • Jom
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2015

Take a look at this thread, post 4 is my own post which may be of help. Make sure controller is sitting firmly on its mount.

Comment

• siemensje
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2018

hey,

I've already followed everything on that older thread, but still no go, I'm sure it's full charged & sits firmly on the mount.
      really loosing it

Comment

• filbert
        Automated Home Guru
        • Oct 2017

It's unlikely but I assume you have checked that the SSID is being broadcast? Can other devices join the network as new (test by telling one to forget the network and see if it can see it and rejoin).

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Distance from the router to the Evotouch ? Through what kind of walls ?

Have you tried connecting it to the Personal Hotspot/Tethering of your phone as a test ?

Comment

• siemensje
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2018

Yes the ssid can been seen by all my other devices, the evohome isn't showing any scan result. I even placed the evohome ontop of my modem.

Comment

• DBMandrake
              Automated Home Legend
              • Sep 2014

As unlikely as it sounds you may have two faulty Evotouch units!

Comment

• paulockenden
                Automated Home Legend
                • Apr 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                As unlikely as it sounds you may have two faulty Evotouch units!
                That's the only thing I can think of too.

There WAS a bug which meant the controller couldn't see the higher channels, which was my initial thought. It gives EXACTLY the symptoms you've described, and although fixed in newer firmware you need to be able to connect to get that!

But you've manually tried using lower channels so it can't be that.

One last thing you could do is to just try running one of the Wi-Fi scanner apps on your phone (easier on Android than iOS) to be *absolutely* sure that your 2.4GHz Wi-Fi isn't running on a high numbered channel.

P.

Comment

• filbert
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Oct 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                  Distance from the router to the Evotouch ? Through what kind of walls ?

Have you tried connecting it to the Personal Hotspot/Tethering of your phone as a test ?
                  That is a test well worth doing. It's easy to set up a hotspot on Android, I have used an Apple device to do so but Google sows it to be simple. That would confirm that the Evotouch can or can't see wifi at all.

Comment

• siemensje
                    Automated Home Lurker
                    • Sep 2018

sorry for my late reply, was gone for few days.
                    Already tried that with a homespot but still it's not discoverd by the evohome, all my other devices can see my hotspot, current modem & my old router (both on channel 6).
                    Also I did with Paul suggested and installed a wifi scanner, al my wifi & access points are on channel 6 (will change it because that's not good).
                    So I guess I'll have to contact Honeywell again
                    Gonna wait till after the winter because last time it took up to 5 weeks before replacement!!!

thx to everyone for your help

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Given this may be the second faulty unit you have received, can they not send you one in advance of returning the old one so you are not without heating ?

Comment

• Old_Codger
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Dec 2017

Apologies if you have tried all this stuff.

Have you looked at this from the router end of things?

I think the evohome controller works on 802.11b,g,n i.e. it does both 2.4 GHz a 5 GHz frequencies. Do you have both enabled?

I know its a joke but have you powered the router down for 30 seconds and then rebooted it ? Sometimes routers stop allowing new connections while existing connections continue to work and "Switching it off and on again" really does fix things. I do understand if you have teenage kids their world will end if you need to switch the internet for more than 5 ms.

Have you checked the signal strength in the area ? I have an app on my android phone call WiFi Analyzer (Open Source) - (its free) allows me to see all the wifi signals around and what strength they are on a graph. It might show if you have a particular problem with weak or clashing WiFi channels in that area.

Can you take the controller closer to the router during the connection setup? Does that change things?

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by Old_Codger View Post
                          I think the evohome controller works on 802.11b,g,n i.e. it does both 2.4 GHz a 5 GHz frequencies. Do you have both enabled?
                          Actually the Evotouch supports 802.11 b/g/n but only on 2.4Ghz.

Not sure off hand whether it only supports the older WPA/TKIP encryption or whether it also supports WPA2/AES encryption, I think it does support both.

Not being able to connect to or even see the personal hotspot of a phone eliminates most of the other possibilities you've suggested. It really does look like faulty Evotouch units.

Comment

• Old_Codger
                            Automated Home Jr Member
                            • Dec 2017

OK. The only the thing to suggest is are you in a WiFi Shadow spot ? I have a place in my kitchen where I often loose WiFi. It is directly in line with a largish steel column which holds the extension up. Everywhere else can "see" the router with good signal strength. After that it does sound like you're talking to Honeywell again.

Comment

• paulockenden
                              Automated Home Legend
                              • Apr 2015

If you read all of the messages in the thread you'll see that the OP said this happens with the controller sitting on top of his WiFi router.

Comment

Working...
                              X