• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dty
    Automated Home Ninja
    • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DanD View Post
    PS when I installed the valencia valves, I decided to use the inserts to balance each radiator and I opened up each of the lockshield valves fully.
    That's what you're meant to do with them! That way, the lockshield can be used purely for taking the rad off the wall to decorate (for example), without having to remember what it was set to, etc.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Originally posted by dty View Post
      That's what you're meant to do with them! That way, the lockshield can be used purely for taking the rad off the wall to decorate (for example), without having to remember what it was set to, etc.
      But.... at the expensive of seriously reducing the modulating range of the HR92, since the more you screw down the balancer insert the more dead-band you add. Not a worthwhile sacrifice IMHO.

Doesn't matter as much for a traditional TRV, however the HR92 also has to balance the valve pin position with the heat demand it sends to the boiler, and adjusting the insert messes with that relationship.

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

Good point.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Just wanted to post an update - I've been running the Valencia valve bodies for a year now and they are performing very well after my initial disapointment that started this thread.

Temperature regulation is good with minimal or no overshoot in most zones, no sticky valves or other issues so far and they are extremely quiet compared to the old valves when they are restricting the flow - particularly the lockshield valves.

On one radiator in particular that is very close to the main 22mm feed trunk which needed the lockshield closed down a lot for balancing the old Pegler Bulldog lockshield valve elicited a very loud hiss typical of a partially on kitchen tap any time the radiator was flowing, however the Valencia lockshield valves are completely silent even when closed down by a similar amount. I can only assume it's the different internal geometry of the valve that accounts for this. (See the picture early in this thread comparing the two)

Likewise the valve on the HR92 side of the radiator is silent at all valve opening and flow rates, so all of my radiators are completely silent in operation at all heat levels. (Aside from the HR92 motor of course)

As described earlier in the thread I found the default settings for both the balancer insert and the Stroke setting on the HR92 do not work well at all.

I ended up winding the integrated balancer insert out until it was loose and then slightly in so it was no longer loose (it can't be removed completely as it also acts as a bush for the pin) but without reducing pin travel. I balanced the radiators the traditional way using the lockshield valves.

I then set the HR92's to Stroke 1 mode. In theory this will reduce battery life somewhat but to be honest I have not really noticed any difference. I'm still seeing approx 1 1/2 years battery life on most HR92's using good quality 3rd party Alkaline batteries.

Overall I'm happy - it's a bit disapointing that a Honeywell valve doesn't seem to work properly with a Honeywell TRV out of the box, especially at their price, however once set up properly they are performing much better than my old valves and show no sign of getting sticky like the old ones did, and the completely silent (water flow) operation is great. I can't tell if a radiator is operating or not now without touching it.
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 4 January 2020, 03:15 PM.

Comment

Working...
          X