Thread: Evohome v Tado v Hive v Nest

Automated Home Lurker

Default Evohome v Tado v Hive v Nest

I've just bought my first home and I'm making it all gadgety! I have the Hue system for lighting but am thinking about heating. It currently has the Honeywell CM927 programmable thermostat with BDR91 relay box. I'm presuming I can't use this relay box for any other architecture other then Evohome?

In an ideal world I would want to have control over each radiator as I see this really is the way forward with smart heating but from what I can understand Tado is the only real option here and that would cost around £300 (starter kit and wireless receiver) plus around £59 for each radiator (I have 5), so around £600 in total. That probably seems a bit extravagant after already spending a fortune on other stuff (carpets, floors, washing machine etc etc etc). Evohome seems a similar price.

I think my main thing is to be able to control the heating via my iPhone both inside and when I'm out and about i.e. forgot to turn off the heating etc.

So, are Hive and Nest my only real options; with Hive currently £120 and Nest around £180.

Anybody else had a similar dilemma? Any ideas or help would be greatly appreciated.

Automated Home Jr Member

So, I was presented with a similar dilemma about a year ago......but without any useful items to start with. I chose Evohome, because it had the option to add radiator control in the future. I didn't see Tado at the time, was simply comparing with Hive and Nest.

I am reasonably happy with Evohome...….had a bit of frustration because the BDR91 controlling Boiler was misplaced. I have just (5 mins ago) ordered 4 HR92 Radiator controllers.....Watch this space

Automated Home Legend

Do Hive and Nest offer radiator controllers ? If not, I can't see the point of them.

Making a single house wide thermostat "smarter" while continuing to use dumb (and inaccurate) manual TRV's doesn't really achieve anything in a typical British home which consists of small, closed off rooms, in contrast to typical American homes with large open plan areas that are always heated regardless of occupancy. Hive and Nest both seem to be designed with American home and heating design in mind.

Especially for a new installation I wouldn't consider anything that doesn't have smart TRV's along with remote (smart phone) control options so that probably narrows it down to Tado V3 and Evohome.

Both systems have their pluses and minuses. Tado has a far superior smart phone app to Evohome (sorry Honeywell, it's true!) but Evohome has some advantages such as having remote wall mounted sensors available that can be used in radiator valve zones for better temperature control, and retaining full functionality (minus smart phone control) if the internet connection is down, while Tado is dependant on the internet connection for nearly everything including scheduling and all but the most basic manual override control of the system.

Swings and roundabouts - both systems have drawbacks I'd rather not have...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 24th September 2018 at 07:58 PM.

Automated Home Legend

Four years of Evohome and no complaints as to its function. It is nice to have control over every room wherever I am. The only complaint I have is the app needs updating but then that is not going to improve the current functionality to any great extent. The system works.

Automated Home Jr Member

You might also want to look at Drayton Wiser... I have no experience of it as I have Evohome, but it does look like it provides similar functionality for less cost.

Automated Home Lurker

Quote Originally Posted by MrShamus View Post
    You might also want to look at Drayton Wiser... I have no experience of it as I have Evohome, but it does look like it provides similar functionality for less cost.
    Thanks for this. Yeah, I was looking at this today as Drayton Wiser is on a daily deal with Amazon so a great price at £99. I can then add the smart TRV's down the line