Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Batteries for Evohome

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by GreenGuy View Post
    if you look at the HR92-Installation-Guide.pdf at http://www.honeywelluk.com/products/...or-Controller/ on page 7 it shows using a cable ACS90 to connect the external window contact Micro B mini-plug. The Micro B mini-socket can also be used to power the HR92.
    How do you know it can be used to power the HR92 ? I have not seen any published pinouts for this socket other than the one in that manual that just shows a SPST switch, probably in the form of a reed relay - something which doesn't require any separate power supply. There is nothing to say what the unused 3rd pin is connected to.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 28th September 2018 at 04:51 PM.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

There's an easy way to find out. Remove the batteries, plug in a phone charger and see if the thing powers up!

I assume that if the socket does support power it'll be on the usual pins.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    There's an easy way to find out. Remove the batteries, plug in a phone charger and see if the thing powers up!

I assume that if the socket does support power it'll be on the usual pins.
    Or it could go pop ?

Remember phone chargers are usually 5 volts while the HR92 runs off 3 volts! There's no reason to assume it could run off 5 volts without damage.

Besides, it's not a micro/mini USB connector as far as I can see, it looks similar to a micro USB but I don't think it's the same, especially if it only has 3 pins as the guide implies...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 28th September 2018 at 05:01 PM.

Pretty sure it's a standard mini-USB socket.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Pretty sure it's a standard mini-USB socket.
    I have one out of service due to a removed radiator, I might check to see if a USB plug fits it. I won't be trying to power it though... Could have sworn I've already tried this and it didn't fit but you never know...

A bit of googling finds product code APS90 - an *official* external PSU for the HR92.

Didn't find any specs, though.

Automated Home Legend

A bit of googling finds product code APS90 - an *official* external PSU for the HR92.

Didn't find any specs, though.
    Wow, that is unusual. I wonder what the expected use case is ? Perhaps it does have a 5 volt to 3 volt regulator built in then. I'm not willing to try on mine without concrete details about the official adaptor though.

Automated Home Legend

https://www.honeywelluk.com/document...eet%5B1%5D.pdf

"Power Module für external
    Power supply: APS90 (9…24V AC/DC)"

That will be the input to the external APS90 almost certainly though, not the voltage going out of the APS90 to the HR92...

Not directly mains powered. Intriguing. Still trying to work out the use case especially when it's not a full 240v AC adaptor.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 28th September 2018 at 05:43 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

During the summer the HR92 motor won't be running but the electronics will still need some power, so it might be worth removing the batteries (or slipping a piece of paper under a contact). Has anyone measured the HR92 current consumption when the motor isn't running?
    Last edited by DorrisMancer; 29th September 2018 at 10:41 AM. Reason: typo

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by DorrisMancer View Post
    During the summer the HR92 motor won't be running but the electronics will still need some power, so it might be worth removing the batteries (or slipping a piece of paper under a contact). Has anyone measured the HR92 current consumption when the motor isn't running?
    The lowest I can measure when it's idle is 2.6mA. But that doesn't make sense because that's not nearly low enough to give a >1 year battery life with Alkaline batteries. 2.6mA would only give a life of about 3-6 months even if the motor was never used, so there must be some even lower standby mode to achieve that which wasn't entered in the time that I was testing. Perhaps the constantly changing measured temperature while holding it in my hand kept it awake and didn't allow it to fully sleep.

It seems to jump up to about 4.5mA for about a second every few minutes which I presume is the receiver coming on to receive the periodic update from the controller, and the backlight increases it to 7mA.

During the initial SYNC mode when it tries to establish a connection to the controller it consumes 25mA continuously until it makes a connection, which is presumably the transmitter. So HR92's that are in SYNC mode a lot due to losing connection with the controller are going to use a lot of battery!

The motor brings it up to 30-90mA depending on how much force the motor is exerting. 90mA is the highest I saw at any time.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 29th September 2018 at 02:07 PM.