Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: HR92 displays E2 error code

Automated Home Sr Member

Itís a HR92WE if it makes a difference as this is what Honeywell UK sent me after all the problems I had with the password and log clear glitch that kept causing the base to reboot.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by VvrooomM View Post
    It never goes to CYCL so I never hear the motor. If it still reports temp, why does this not trigger the base to call for heat and fire the BD91? The bathroom rads are the only rads not controlled so if it just reported temp and then actually called for heat it would be fine.
    It's designed not to call for heat unless it is installed and latched onto a valve base and the calibration process is successful.

You wouldn't want it calling for heat if it wasn't fitted to a radiator or wasn't able to control the radiator due to a fault.

Sounds like your motor is faulty unfortunately. If it doesn't even bother to enter CYCL mode despite detecting the latch switch I'd assume that has detected an obvious fault with the motor such as an open circuit motor. If it was just physically jammed it will still at least attempt CYCL mode.
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 29th September 2018 at 10:00 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Okay, at least thatís a definitive answer, Iím reluctant to buy another at £50+ if this is a likely failure. This rad acted as the zone for all my bathrooms as they do not have TRVís and it was in a dressing area. Can I keep that zone but without a HR92 and just use an appropriate wall mounted stat for the temp but put the old style TRV back or just a normal valve?

Automated Home Legend

So you never had it on a radiator, just sitting on a shelf ??

Automated Home Sr Member

It was on a tiny rad in a dressing area but temp settings were tweaked to warm bathrooms as required. Can I just put a standard TRV back on this rad but keep the zone with a Honeywell stat the temp. Itís impossible to add a TRV to a towel rad it seems and not ideal in the bathrooms anyway. These are the only rads in the house not zoned but I like to have the towel rads on when the other rads are off. My heating is on a different valve to HW and to UF.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thinking along your idea, could I just put it onto a TRV body and stick it on a shelf as you suggest and fool it into thinking itís on a rad, normal TRV on the dressing rad and normal valves on towel rads?

Automated Home Guru

I had a couple of the old HR80s suffer from this problem. It was corrected quite easily by using a 1.5V battery connected to a couple of wires and touching the motor terminals (and reversing polarity) to get the motor moving. Never reoccurred.

Automated Home Sr Member

Thanks Chris, Iíll try that but it seems pretty dead to be honest. I donít have the electrical know how to test the motor properly.

Iíd really like to know from the Honeywell guys that frequent here, how to keep the zone either with a HR92 mounted on a TRV valve or a standalone room stat as itís impossible / not recommended to fit TRVís to towel rads/inside bathrooms due to the big changes in temp during use.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by VvrooomM View Post
    as it’s impossible / not recommended to fit TRV’s to towel rads/inside bathrooms due to the big changes in temp during use.
    Huh ?

I have an HR92 on my bathroom radiator and it works fine. I know other people do too. Who said its not recommended ? The device is not going to be harmed in any way by "big changes" in temperature.

The only concern I can think of is careless wet hands operating the knob on top could lead to water ingress, (the unit is not water proof) so I avoid turning the knob with wet hands straight out of a shower, but other than that it copes just fine with a bathroom environment, and mine has been there nearly 3 years.

I've only had one HR92 out of 8 fail on me in 3 years and that was the living room one where my 2 year old son physically ripped the screen off it... (That was after a hoover had already damaged the screen and I had repaired it. He then managed to completely tear the ribbon cable to the screen)

In general the HR92 seems very reliable, its two weak points are poor quality (soft metal) battery contacts that lose tension easily leading to intermittent power brownouts until you re-tension the contacts (I've had that issue on nearly every one of mine) and the screen is very vulnerable to damage by being knocked by moving furniture, hoover, or damaged by children, regardless of whether the screen is supported by the triangle brace or left flat.

On my replacement living room one I was forced to leave the screen flat and then put cellotape across the screen right around the body of the unit to hold the screen fully in so that little fingers can't lift it up - otherwise it would have just got ripped off again...
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 30th September 2018 at 04:31 PM.

Automated Home Sr Member

Well I hunted high and low for a TRV valve that fitted a chrome towel rail for the size of thread required, all the plumbers merchants I spoke to said they werenít available.

They also advised fitting a TRV in the bathroom as the sudden increase in temperature during use causes the TRV to close, just when you want warm radiators to dry towels etc. That logic seems to make sense.

My central heating and boiler installer also said it was good practice to leave at least one radiator open so to speak so that the system could circulate, this he said is often convieniently the bathroom for similar reasons to above, drying towels etc.

I wasnít suggesting the change in temp would harm the HR92, although moisture etc sounds a bad idea for electrical things. I didnít have mine in the bathroom but on a tiny radiator in a dressing area. I upped the temp setting on this to call for heat daily to warm towels etc, not really to heat the rooms. This HR92 therefore has probably cycled on/off at least one a day, twice at weekends if not more as temp was reached etc. This is the only problem Iíve had, but itís the one Iíve used the most.

Can anyone here answer the question..... Can I leave this current zone in place on the base station / account but use a wall mounted stat as the temp control and call for heat without the HR92?

Many thanks.