X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • VvrooomM
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Dec 2015

Thinking along your idea, could I just put it onto a TRV body and stick it on a shelf as you suggest and fool it into thinking it’s on a rad, normal TRV on the dressing rad and normal valves on towel rads?

Comment

• chrisgare
      Automated Home Guru
      • Dec 2013

I had a couple of the old HR80s suffer from this problem. It was corrected quite easily by using a 1.5V battery connected to a couple of wires and touching the motor terminals (and reversing polarity) to get the motor moving. Never reoccurred.

Comment

• VvrooomM
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Dec 2015

Thanks Chris, I’ll try that but it seems pretty dead to be honest. I don’t have the electrical know how to test the motor properly.

I’d really like to know from the Honeywell guys that frequent here, how to keep the zone either with a HR92 mounted on a TRV valve or a standalone room stat as it’s impossible / not recommended to fit TRV’s to towel rads/inside bathrooms due to the big changes in temp during use.

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

Originally posted by VvrooomM View Post
          as it’s impossible / not recommended to fit TRV’s to towel rads/inside bathrooms due to the big changes in temp during use.
          Huh ?

I have an HR92 on my bathroom radiator and it works fine. I know other people do too. Who said its not recommended ? The device is not going to be harmed in any way by "big changes" in temperature.

The only concern I can think of is careless wet hands operating the knob on top could lead to water ingress, (the unit is not water proof) so I avoid turning the knob with wet hands straight out of a shower, but other than that it copes just fine with a bathroom environment, and mine has been there nearly 3 years.

I've only had one HR92 out of 8 fail on me in 3 years and that was the living room one where my 2 year old son physically ripped the screen off it... (That was after a hoover had already damaged the screen and I had repaired it. He then managed to completely tear the ribbon cable to the screen)

In general the HR92 seems very reliable, its two weak points are poor quality (soft metal) battery contacts that lose tension easily leading to intermittent power brownouts until you re-tension the contacts (I've had that issue on nearly every one of mine) and the screen is very vulnerable to damage by being knocked by moving furniture, hoover, or damaged by children, regardless of whether the screen is supported by the triangle brace or left flat.

On my replacement living room one I was forced to leave the screen flat and then put cellotape across the screen right around the body of the unit to hold the screen fully in so that little fingers can't lift it up - otherwise it would have just got ripped off again...
          Last edited by DBMandrake; 30 September 2018, 03:31 PM.

Comment

• VvrooomM
            Automated Home Sr Member
            • Dec 2015

Well I hunted high and low for a TRV valve that fitted a chrome towel rail for the size of thread required, all the plumbers merchants I spoke to said they weren’t available.

They also advised fitting a TRV in the bathroom as the sudden increase in temperature during use causes the TRV to close, just when you want warm radiators to dry towels etc. That logic seems to make sense.

My central heating and boiler installer also said it was good practice to leave at least one radiator open so to speak so that the system could circulate, this he said is often convieniently the bathroom for similar reasons to above, drying towels etc.

I wasn’t suggesting the change in temp would harm the HR92, although moisture etc sounds a bad idea for electrical things. I didn’t have mine in the bathroom but on a tiny radiator in a dressing area. I upped the temp setting on this to call for heat daily to warm towels etc, not really to heat the rooms. This HR92 therefore has probably cycled on/off at least one a day, twice at weekends if not more as temp was reached etc. This is the only problem I’ve had, but it’s the one I’ve used the most.

Can anyone here answer the question..... Can I leave this current zone in place on the base station / account but use a wall mounted stat as the temp control and call for heat without the HR92?

Many thanks.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
              Automated Home Legend
              • Mar 2017

Can anyone here answer the question..... Can I leave this current zone in place on the base station / account but use a wall mounted stat as the temp control and call for heat without the HR92?
              No you have to have a device to turn the heat on/off. So either HR92, BDR91 etc. You can't just have a zone and a temp sensor.

My towel rails I just have a wall sensor and a BDR91 to control them, however they are on a separate zone with it's own zone valve so it was easy to do.

Your easiest option is just to buy another HR92...

Comment

• VvrooomM
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Dec 2015

Originally posted by mtmcgavock View Post
                No you have to have a device to turn the heat on/off. So either HR92, BDR91 etc. You can't just have a zone and a temp sensor.

My towel rails I just have a wall sensor and a BDR91 to control them, however they are on a separate zone with it's own zone valve so it was easy to do.

Your easiest option is just to buy another HR92...
                The central heating has a BDR91, as does the hot water and the underfloor. These bathroom rads are the only rads without a TRV for reasons stated. It sounds like the zone can stay using either a new HR92 or change the dressing room rad back to a standard manual TRV with a wireless stat to call for heat through the CH BDR91 as the now faulty HR92 did.

Will the wireless stat be sufficient if allocated to bathroom zone as temp sensor or does the zone need deleting and recreating. I really don’t want to mess at that detail as it’s two years since I set it up and it nearly finished me off, the process was so complicated!!

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Mar 2017

The central heating has a BDR91, as does the hot water and the underfloor. These bathroom rads are the only rads without a TRV for reasons stated. It sounds like the zone can stay using either a new HR92 or change the dressing room rad back to a standard manual TRV with a wireless stat to call for heat through the CH BDR91 as the now faulty HR92 did.

Will the wireless stat be sufficient if allocated to bathroom zone as temp sensor or does the zone need deleting and recreating. I really don’t want to mess at that detail as it’s two years since I set it up and it nearly finished me off, the process was so complicated!!
                  I think you've misunderstood, it needs it's own BDR91. You can't use the CH BDR91 as the on/off for that zone.

Comment

• VvrooomM
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Dec 2015

Why not? If I use a HR92 and all the other rads are closed as their HR92’s are not requesting heat. The only rads that will heat are the bathrooms. This is how it was working without problem. I just want to replace the HR92 with a Honeywell wireless stat as I have one of these in the kitchen than I can replace with the evohome base as the temp sensor.

I just don’t want to mess if it isn’t going to work, winter and the need for CH isn’t far away!
                    Last edited by VvrooomM; 30 September 2018, 10:14 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

• DBMandrake
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Sep 2014

Why not? If I use a HR92 and all the other rads are closed as their HR92’s are not requesting heat. The only rads that will heat are the bathrooms. This is how it was working without problem. I just want to replace the HR92 with a Honeywell wireless stat as I have one of gases in the kitchen than I can replace with the evohome base as the temp sensor.

I just don’t want to mess if it isn’t going to work, winter and the need for CH isn’t far away!
                      A zone must have an actuator. If you just put a wireless stat in the room you only have a temperature sensor but no actuator to assign to the zone.

The system doesn't work that way. The overall heating zone valve doesn't count as an individual zone actuator as it comes on for any zone and supplies hot water for all zones.

Comment

• VvrooomM
                        Automated Home Sr Member
                        • Dec 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                        A zone must have an actuator. If you just put a wireless stat in the room you only have a temperature sensor but no actuator to assign to the zone.

The system doesn't work that way. The overall heating zone valve doesn't count as an individual zone actuator as it comes on for any zone and supplies hot water for all zones.
                        That’s not how my system is configured, it was working before the HR92 failed. I can have HW without CH or UF, UF without CH or HW and CH without UF or HW.

I think you are missing the point or failing to understand my explanation in that all zones are controlled, therefore any other zone calling for heat under CH will heat the bathrooms as they do not have a TRV. By essentially controlling the bathrooms via the dressing room HR92 I created the bathroom/dressing zone which could call for heat via the CH BDR91 without heating the other zone rads or the UF/HW

Comment

• DBMandrake
                          Automated Home Legend
                          • Sep 2014

That’s not how my system is configured, it was working before the HR92 failed. I can have HW without CH or UF, UF without CH or HW and CH without UF or HW.

I think you are missing the point or failing to understand my explanation in that all zones are controlled, therefore any other zone calling for heat under CH will heat the bathrooms as they do not have a TRV. By essentially controlling the bathrooms via the dressing room HR92 I created the bathroom/dressing zone which could call for heat via the CH BDR91 without heating the other zone rads or the UF/HW
                          I understand exactly what you're trying to do. In your old configuration you do have an actuator for the zone - the HR92. An HR92 is both a temperature sensor and an actuator. A wall stat is only a sensor.

So I was responding to your suggestion "I just want to replace the HR92 with a Honeywell wireless stat as I have one of these in the kitchen than I can replace with the evohome base as the temp sensor. ", to which the answer is no - you can't replace an HR92 with a wall stat in a zone and leave the zone with no actuator. There has to be an actuator configured for the zone.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                            Automated Home Legend
                            • Mar 2017

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                            I understand exactly what you're trying to do. In your old configuration you do have an actuator for the zone - the HR92. An HR92 is both a temperature sensor and an actuator. A wall stat is only a sensor.

So I was responding to your suggestion "I just want to replace the HR92 with a Honeywell wireless stat as I have one of these in the kitchen than I can replace with the evohome base as the temp sensor. ", to which the answer is no - you can't replace an HR92 with a wall stat in a zone and leave the zone with no actuator. There has to be an actuator configured for the zone.
                            This was the exact point I was trying to make also, you can't have a zone without an actuator.

Comment

• VvrooomM
                              Automated Home Sr Member
                              • Dec 2015

It all got lost in the language a little. I’ve dropped the zone with the bust HR92 and tweaked another to warm up and supply the rads for the bathrooms at the required time. Seems like a missed opportunity for the remaining uncontrolled zones to not be able to use the base and a wireless stat for control. I appreciate this may not have an actuator but they obviously all talk to each other and the BDR91’s.

If anyone has details of a TRV body that will fit the chrome towel radiators, it would be appreciated as that would enable me to control two bathrooms whilst leaving downstairs WC as an open rad that heats when any other rad does. I couldn’t find the right TRV anywhere with an appropriate thread size.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                                Automated Home Legend
                                • Mar 2017

It all got lost in the language a little. I’ve dropped the zone with the bust HR92 and tweaked another to warm up and supply the rads for the bathrooms at the required time. Seems like a missed opportunity for the remaining uncontrolled zones to not be able to use the base and a wireless stat for control. I appreciate this may not have an actuator but they obviously all talk to each other and the BDR91’s.

If anyone has details of a TRV body that will fit the chrome towel radiators, it would be appreciated as that would enable me to control two bathrooms whilst leaving downstairs WC as an open rad that heats when any other rad does. I couldn’t find the right TRV anywhere with an appropriate thread size.
                                I use these... not used them for long so can’t comment on reliability. But the HR92 fits the ones I’ve got.

https://www.radiatorvalves4u.co.uk/trv/039-modern-trv-corner-chrome-thermostatic-radiator-valves.html#SID=25

Comment

Working...
                                X