Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Evohome down - 3rd Octber 2018 @ 05:30 GMT ?

Automated Home Sr Member

Wow, think I just fixed it.
    Logged into the website and removed the comfort system.
    Then readded it with the Mac and CRC numbers.
    All seems normal now and the app as well.

Seems odd.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by FullBore View Post
    Many thanks Paul

They may well be account specific, as you suggest, I'm glad you too wern't affected.

This however does not mean that Honeywell can ignore the issues.

I didn't receive any emails, but did receive an email:-

FB
    I've received a few of those "failed to implement change to zone" emails when making changes from my phone - despite the changes actually being applied to the controller.

I've also seen emails saying my controller has lost its connection despite me still being able to control it via the phone.

I've definitely seen intermittent issues the last few days, it's not just you.

Automated Home Legend paulockenden's Avatar

Twitter is full of reports too. Starting mid September, with a total outage on the 25th. But intermittent problems reported since then.

Honeywell is obviously having big problems. If I had to guess I'd say it was a cloud server migration that hasn't gone to plan. Or a massive DDoS attack. I doubt the company would admit to either.

P.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by paulockenden View Post
    Twitter is full of reports too. Starting mid September, with a total outage on the 25th. But intermittent problems reported since then.

Honeywell is obviously having big problems. If I had to guess I'd say it was a cloud server migration that hasn't gone to plan. Or a massive DDoS attack. I doubt the company would admit to either.
    Last time there was a big outage I speculated that incorporating the alarm features into their services (now supported in the iOS App, presumably using the same servers) might make them a DDoS target. I wonder if this is actually the case ?

People wouldn't care about maliciously knocking people's remote control of their heating offline, but if they can remotely kill the ability of security systems to report in, that's a worthwhile target for DDoS'ers...

Does anyone know if the wireless security products have also been affected ?

Lyric got migrated from Microsoft's Orleans framework onto Azure Surface Fabric earlier this year(*). i wonder whether the same thing has happened to Evohome/TCC ?

(*) Honeywell keeps quiet about things like this, but Microsoft shouts about it!

Automated Home Sr Member

Don't talk to me about lyrics, got the new one and it's pants. Just doesn't work.

You don't seem to have a lot of luck with technology, Rob..... ;-)

Automated Home Sr Member

No just Honeywell, have loads of smart home stuff but Honeywell gives me by far the most grief.
    Lyric just will not work via Alexa, constantly refuses to connect to the WiFi when the fire stick next to it manages just fine as does my phone.

Automated Home Legend

Quote Originally Posted by robj20 View Post
    Wow, think I just fixed it.
    Logged into the website and removed the comfort system.
    Then readded it with the Mac and CRC numbers.
    All seems normal now and the app as well.

Seems odd.
    Not all that odd. It happens with other apps as well. From time to time they seem to stop working or not doing so properly. Years ago it was a standing joke that with Windows to put things right you log out and back in again. I had the issue last week with the Evohome app but it is not alone. I am no expert but it may be no more than distribution in the network during a download. In 4 years of use, yes, I have had the odd quirk with Evohome but generally speaking if one stops playing with it and leave it alone, it works.

Automated Home Legend

Still having problems here. Last night about 12:30 I spent several minutes editing and saving the schedule of two rooms from the iPhone app - no errors were reported at any time and the schedules were apparently saved.

However I was suspicious because my change in schedule should have resulted in a change in the current set point of the zones - but despite waiting for over a minute and pulling down on the main temperature screen to refresh it, the set point stubbornly remained the same.

So I went downstairs to the controller and surprise surprise, no sign of the new schedule - the schedule for both rooms was still the original one. I force quit the iPhone app then reloaded it again, waited for it to update from the servers and it still showed the "new" schedule.

At this point I just got fed up and re-edited the schedules from the controller so I could get to bed.

No "failed to change zone" emails have been received since either.

Actual zone set points and measured temperatures are being reported to the iPhone app perfectly well - so I know both the controller and iPhone app are connecting to the Honeywell servers. However pushing changes from iPhone to controller is not working.

This kind of data inconsistency is extremely frustrating, Honeywell. If it was a complete loss of connection I would at least know it wasn't working, however everything was reported as being normal - no errors whatsoever, it simply wouldn't apply the schedules from the iPhone app to the controller, this greatly reduces my confidence in using the iPhone app to make changes to the system, as only by going to the controller did I confirm that my changes were not sent - kind of defeating the point of remotely controlling it.

Please check your servers and sort this out... If it doesn't work reliably and silently fails to do as it says it might as well not be there at all.

Anyone else tried updating their schedules from the iPhone app then checking the changes were in fact applied ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 4th October 2018 at 06:02 AM.