• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JohnOC
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Aug 2018

EvoHome WiFi Controller temperature reading incorrect

I have a single zone EvoHome WiFi Controller in my hallway and this morning it was reading a temperature of 28 degrees whereas an adjacent digital thermometer was saying it was 22 degrees (which felt about right to me). Beforehand, I'd picked up the controller out of it's stand to check a few settings so heat from my hand may have had some effect (?) but on placing the controller back in it's stand, the displayed temperature stayed at 28 degrees.

I realise I can set an offset in the controller for the temperature reading but an inaccuracy of 6 degrees seems excessive to me - could the unit be faulty?
  • bruce_miranda
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jul 2014

Does the controller temperature return to what you would expect after about a hour of not touching it?

Comment

• olektrolek
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2018

I observe similar.
      the sensor in the controller must be very sensitive.
      but it should go back to room temp in hour or so.

also I think that charging batteries and working display adds up some heat which is detected by the thermometer.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Definitely hand heat. The temperature reading will shoot up to 28-33 degrees with just a couple of minutes of holding it in your hand, (skin temperature is 33C) and as mentioned can take about an hour to cool back down again.

I wouldn't recommend using the built in temperature sensor in the Evotouch unless it is wall mounted and left on the mount 99% of the time - as mine is.

I also find I have to set the calibration for the sensor to -1.0C to agree with a nearby independent digital thermometer. This is in contrast to a DTS92 which is absolutely bang on without any calibration. (Not even sure if the DTS92 has a calibration option - I've never had to look for one!)

This will be due to the significant heat generation inside the Evotouch, (cpu, display backlighting, battery charging etc) vs no significant heat generation in a DTS92.

As long as it's left alone and not held, and the calibration tweaked, it can be very accurate however, and I do use mine as the sensor in the hallway, because... why not ?
        Last edited by DBMandrake; 4 October 2018, 10:04 PM.

Comment

• olektrolek
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2018

I normally use HR92 as a sensors for the zones. they are accurate too.
          in one zone I set up DTS92 as the location of the HR92 is in the "warm" corner and readings were not accurate.

Comment

• DBMandrake
            Automated Home Legend
            • Sep 2014

The sensor in an HR92 is very accurate - at measuring the temperature beside a hot radiator...

Depending on the room though they can be very inaccurate at sensing the actual room temperature some distance away - just like every other TRV that senses the temperature beside the radiator.

Four of my 8 zones use either a DTS92 or the Evotouch controller as remote sensors and I would upgrade more zones to remote sensors if I could justify the cost.

Comment

• JohnOC
              Automated Home Jr Member
              • Aug 2018

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post

Four of my 8 zones use either a DTS92 or the Evotouch controller as remote sensors and I would upgrade more zones to remote sensors if I could justify the cost.
              How do the DTS92s work with EvoHome?

Comment

• olektrolek
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Oct 2018

Originally posted by JohnOC View Post
                How do the DTS92s work with EvoHome?
                you pair it as a remote sensor in zone settings. works very well - and offers pretty much the same as HR92.

readings from the DTS92 are transferred to evotouch so you can see the temperature measured.
                you can also change settings with buttons.
                ECO mode is available.
                and - as mentioned before - it gives you ability to locate it in most accurate place in the room.

Comment

• JohnOC
                  Automated Home Jr Member
                  • Aug 2018

Originally posted by olektrolek View Post
                  you pair it as a remote sensor in zone settings. works very well - and offers pretty much the same as HR92.
                  except it can't close the valve when the target temp is attained.

Or would it cause the touch controller to switch off the boiler when all target temps are achieved?

Comment

• olektrolek
                    Automated Home Jr Member
                    • Oct 2018

except it can't close the valve when the target temp is attained.

Or would it cause the touch controller to switch off the boiler when all target temps are achieved?
                    maybe I was not clear - you need to have the Evotouch controller for driving boiler and valves.

then DTS92 can be paired as remote sensor for zone.

and evotouch controller starts/stops boiler and opens/closes valves on rads as per set temperature,.

Comment

• JohnOC
                      Automated Home Jr Member
                      • Aug 2018

Originally posted by olektrolek View Post
                      maybe I was not clear - you need to have the Evotouch controller for driving boiler and valves.

then DTS92 can be paired as remote sensor for zone.

and evotouch controller starts/stops boiler and opens/closes valves on rads as per set temperature,.
                      Ah okay, I thought that somehow the DTS92 could replace an HR92 but I guess that the DTS92 tells the EvoHome controller when target temperature is reached and then the controller tells the HR92 to close the radiator valve?

Comment

• olektrolek
                        Automated Home Jr Member
                        • Oct 2018

... the DTS92 tells the EvoHome controller when target temperature is reached ...

yes - DTS is just remote temp sensor for the zone.
                        all the decisioning still made at the evohome.

Comment

Working...
                        X