• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • basiluk
    Automated Home Sr Member
    • Oct 2008

Binding failure - suggestions please?

OK so without boring you with the details, I needed to factory reset the controller and start again.

So controller reset, add hot water manually - Water sensor added fine, BDR91 for water fine, then it asks for heating controller which also bound successfully. (both BDR91's had bene fully reset prior). And lo, hot water working perfectly!

But when I come to add the first HR92 (single zone, nothing unusual) it asks to bind the sensor, which binds successfully, sync then happens and the zone name appears on the HR92 - BUT then it then asks for the ACTUATOR to be bound. Now its not clear but I guess it is asking for the BDR91 that is the heating controller. This BDR91 will got into binding mode (remember it has already been bound via the hot water) BUT it fails to bind a second time for the first HR92.

It does not seem right that the controller is asking for a BDR91 to be bound twice, so I am stuck? Any suggestions welcome please!

PS - HR92 was fully reset, menu plus battery change plus binding clear). BRD91 are away from each other and not near large metal objects.
  • olektrolek
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2018

ACTUATOR in this case is a HR92

zone needs two bindings: sensor and actuator(s).

so far you have bound the sensor from HR92.

it might be confusing that you need to bind the same device twice but think about HR92 as a two unrelated devices hidden in the same "box" - sensor/thermometer and valve/actuator

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

When you add an HR92 to a zone the device is both a sensor and an actuator. With the older HR80's you apparently had to bind both functions of the device in two separate steps, however when you bind an HR92 it should recognise the device and perform both the sensor and actuator binding as one transparent step.

You definitely do not bind the BDR91 as an actuator for a radiator valve zone. If you have done that you'll need to clear the bindings on the BDR91's and start again.

When you bind the HR92 to the zone it should be a single step. It should not then ask you for an actuator for the zone unless you mistakenly chose the wrong kind of zone. Are you sure you chose radiator valve zone and not zone valve zone ?

Sounds like you tried to add a zone valve zone instead of a radiator controller zone...

Comment

• basiluk
        Automated Home Sr Member
        • Oct 2008

Olektrolek - OK, thanks that sort of makes sense (but I am sure that Honeywell could make it a single step (please!)). DBMandrake, definitely choosing radiator valve, not anything else, and they are def HR92’s. But you are right, the first time I installed this it was a single step, not the new two step process - I have no idea why this has changed?

Comment

• DBMandrake
          Automated Home Legend
          • Sep 2014

It should always be a single step binding process for an HR92. If not, something is very wrong.

I'd try clearing the bindings on the BDR91's and the HR92, (both at the Evotouch end and at the device ends) then reboot both the controller and HR92 and start again setting up the stored hot water config then trying to create a radiator zone.

Comment

• paulockenden
            Automated Home Legend
            • Apr 2015

It should always be a single step with an HR92. olektrolek's reply is confusing the situation.

Perhaps there was an RF clash at the exact time the binding signal was transmitted. As Dbmandrake says, clear the (partial) bindings and try again.

P.

Comment

• basiluk
              Automated Home Sr Member
              • Oct 2008

Thank you for the advice, but this will be the forth time I have cleared and started again - I cannot find Antoine locally who has experience of installing and troubleshooting these systems, and I am pulling my hair out. The original problem was zones turning themselves on, followed by loss of heating. Fresh reset then meant one BDR91 would not bind - AFter many resets finally got that working. And here I am starting afresh again. In the last two days I estimate I have spent 4 hours on this. Its a simple heating system, it should not be this complicated!

Comment

• basiluk
                Automated Home Sr Member
                • Oct 2008

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                It should always be a single step with an HR92. olektrolek's reply is confusing the situation.

Perhaps there was an RF clash at the exact time the binding signal was transmitted. As Dbmandrake says, clear the (partial) bindings and try again.

P.

PS - Just for clarity are you saying clear the BDR91 bindings or just the HR92 bindings.

Comment

• paulockenden
                  Automated Home Legend
                  • Apr 2015

If you actually tried to bind the BDR91 when confused about the HR92 binding process then yes, clear that too and start over. But if you didn't (not clear from the post above) then don't worry.

Normally, when binding an HR92, you shouldn't go anywhere near your BDR91s.

P.

Comment

• basiluk
                    Automated Home Sr Member
                    • Oct 2008

Thanks will try that!

Comment

• basiluk
                      Automated Home Sr Member
                      • Oct 2008

Well I think I have worked out the problem. If you do not manually clear the previous binding on the HR92 then it prompts for both a sensor and activator link. Manually clearing the previous binding results in just one prompt to bind.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                        Automated Home Legend
                        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by basiluk View Post
                        Well I think I have worked out the problem. If you do not manually clear the previous binding on the HR92 then it prompts for both a sensor and activator link. Manually clearing the previous binding results in just one prompt to bind.
                        That would explain it. Always remember to manually clear the bindings at BDR91's and HR92's before rebinding them - it's not enough to just delete them from the controller. This is especially so if you move the devices from one zone or function to another.

Comment

Working...
                        X