• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amigaoneit
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2018

heating system from scratch in old flat

hello everybody, sorry if it's been already answered. i've been searching but apparently i couldn't find something on my particular case.

i just bought the flat next to mine. now that i'm renovating i would like to install a heating system. as is not a very insulated apartment, i'm thinking of radiators and not undlefloor heating.

as i would like to have two different zones (Day/living and night/bedrooms) how would i seutup plubing? as i understood with evohome you don't need zoning as the single radiator will call for heat, but still i would like to have two separate circuits just in case i would need to separate the flats again.

in such a case could i setup two zones (one per flat) and how would evohome work? would i need two different thermostats?

and now that netatmo and tado also have smart valves would they be a better option than evohome (they are nicer)? would they need two thermostats?

Thanks in advance
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Have a look at Loxone for the heating. Their valves are wireless.

If you are knocking the 2 flats into 1 then I would design the system as 2 seperate systems, that are linked with one boiler. Also in the 2nd flat I would alow for a seperate bolier to be easily plumbed in and a shut off valve between the two systems. Maybe two shut off valves as you could switch both off and only remove the pipe between the two valves. This way wouldn't need to drain one of the systems down. Hope this makes sense.

The Loxone system would consist of a miniserver Go, their Air radiator valves (the air version can be battery powered or via an external 24Vdc supply and a Nano Air module with an external relay to control the on and off for the boiler. And may be an Air Temp and Humidity sensor. Also if you then want to seperate the two flats again, you just need to buy a Loxone Go (and of course a boiler) for the second flat as everything else is already in place.
    As for two temp sensors, this would be a good idea but could be added later. The system would be plumbed in as a normal wet rad system. As the Loxone Go would control which rad comes on and when the boiler needs to be on.

I don't know how it compares price wise to EVOhome, but all the config software and apps for smartphone control are free.
    If you need a diagram or two let me know.
    Last edited by toscal; 14 October 2018, 09:34 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• amigaoneit
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Oct 2018

Thanks for your reply. Yes it does make sense to me.
      I just realized that I must, somehow, have deleted the part where I introduce myself. Loxon seems a great product but I live in southern Italy. And the only kits available are the one from tado Honeywell and netstmo.
      That's why I was looking into them.

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Loxone is available in Italy. I Live in Spain. Depending on how I buy the products depends on whoI deal with. If I use a credit card I deal with Loxone España if I buy and pay with a bank transfer I deal with Loxone head office in Austria.

If you write to Loxone direct they can help you with what you need. Also I am sure there must be at least one installer in Italy. If not why not become one yourself.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• amigaoneit
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Oct 2018

Thanks for your reply. I made myself an idea on how evohome works. I'll have to double check the potential of loxone

Comment

• toscal
            • Oct 2005

If you need any advice on Loxone just ask. I have installed three systems here in Spain.
            Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

Working...
            X