• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • geoff40
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

Please help....

had a new Glow Worm boiler installed last week, we have a twin zone system (seperate ground and first floor heating) the ground floor will not heat up over 15c???.

The room stat is ok.

The motorised valve opens on demand

Is the boiler wired up wrong somehow?

first floor will heat up to 20c+ with no problems
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: Please help....

How many theromstats do you have and where are they located ?

If there is one upstairs and one downstairs, is the boiler shutting down when upstairs gets to temperature which may indicate incorrect wiring.

If you have an upstairs stat, set it as high as possible and see if you can get downstairs to a higher temperature.

Dont forget that heat rises so upstairs will also be heated by the heat from downstairs, and also that downstairs is subject to greater heat loss from people opening and closing outside doors so may require more heat input.

If you only have one thermostat it may be located somewhere that is getting to temperature before the living area has got hot enough. It could also not be accurate. Place a good thermometer next to the stat and see when it cuts out.

You might also need to balance the radiators with valves to restrict the amount of water flowing through the upstairs radiators or increase the flow through the downstairs ones.

Hope that helps

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• geoff40
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2005

Originally posted by katman
      How many theromstats do have ?

If there is one upstairs and one downstairs, is the boiler shutting down when upstairs gets to temperature which may indicate incorrect wiring

Keith
      Stat upstairs and one downstairs.

If I only put downstairs on, temp will only go to 15c, then boiler/room stat/pump refuse to re-start, but up to 15c boiler will fire with no problems.

If I put upstairs on, it will fire up to 20c+easy, does not make any difference if I have both systems on at the same time!

system is 19 years old and I had no problems before I had the new boiler installed

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

Have a look here http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html
        Are you sure the thermostats have been wired correctly. Something to try is to swap the stats round so the one controlling upstairs now controls the downstairs rads etc. And see what happens.
        Do any of your downstairs rads get as hot as the upstairs. You may need to bleed the rads, and as Keith suggests to balance them. The link above tells you how to do this.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• geoff40
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Nov 2005

Originally posted by toscal
          Have a look here http://www.diyfaq.org.uk/plumbing/plumbingpage1.html
          Are you sure the thermostats have been wired correctly. Something to try is to swap the stats round so the one controlling upstairs now controls the downstairs rads etc. And see what happens.
          Do any of your downstairs rads get as hot as the upstairs. You may need to bleed the rads, and as Keith suggests to balance them. The link above tells you how to do this.
          swopped the stats round yesterday, and no difference

Rads downstairs (when their on) get as hot as upstairs, do not need bleeding,

Thermostats are as origional and where working ok, as was the whole system before the new boiler was installed.

Not conversent with the electrical side of the heating system, that's why I wondered if the boiler was wired up correctly.

I think it's an "S" plan system but not sure.

Thanks to all for your help so far.

PS, we are all sat upstairs now as it's to cold downstairs

Comment

• katman
            • Jan 2004

Originally posted by geoff40
            If I only put downstairs on, temp will only go to 15c, then boiler/room stat/pump refuse to re-start, but up to 15c boiler will fire with no problems.

If I put upstairs on, it will fire up to 20c+easy, does not make any difference if I have both systems on at the same time!

system is 19 years old and I had no problems before I had the new boiler installed
            As the system is 19 years old and some pipework has obviously been pulled around during the boiler replacement I am wondering if some debris may have got into the system and be restricting the flow to the downstairs rads.

Something is obviously shutting the system down. Maybe it is some sort of overheat protection operating on the boiler.

Is the new boiler more powerful than the previous one ?

Was the pump replaced ?

Can the pump speed be increased ?

Sorry, cant think of anything else

Keith

Comment

• geoff40
              Automated Home Lurker
              • Nov 2005

Originally posted by katman
              Originally posted by geoff40

Is the new boiler more powerful than the previous one ?

Was the pump replaced ?

Can the pump speed be increased ?

Keith
              Yes, output on old boiler 80.000BTUs, new one 100.000 BTUs

No, pump only 1 year old

Pump speed can be increased

After boiler shuts down there is NOW a loud bang from inside/near the boiler, is there an air lock? that could be causing the problem, if so how do I flush it out?

Comment

• geoff40
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Nov 2005

Well, turned out it was the Zone Valve not opening correctly. ops:

Comment

• katman
                  • Jan 2004

So I was right about the flow to the downstairs radiators being restricted then

Comment

Working...
                  X