• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • NickCorbett
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Oct 2018

Evohome Hot Water

Hi

I've just installed an EvoHome system with the hot water kit to measure the temperature of my cylinder. I've put it into optimized start mode and can see the radiators getting switched on early to get the room up to temperature at the assigned time. However, my hot water is not coming on early.

Should the hot water be part of the optimization as well as heating?

Thanks

Nick
  • paulockenden
    Automated Home Legend
    • Apr 2015

I don’t think optimisation applies to water, only heating zones.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Indeed. There is no optimal start for hot water - just schedule hot water to be on about 30 minutes before you need it.

Comment

• paulockenden
        Automated Home Legend
        • Apr 2015

As long as your tank is well insulated it doesn’t matter about putting it on a bit too early. It'll get up to temp and then just sit there consuming very little fuel.

Comment

• dty
          Automated Home Ninja
          • Aug 2016

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
          As long as your tank is well insulated it doesn’t matter about putting it on a bit too early. It'll get up to temp and then just sit there consuming very little fuel.
          Indeed. Our boiler is slightly under-powered for heating the house from cold, but does fine keeping it warm. We specified it for the low end of its modulation range for efficiency purposes.

To help it heat the house in the morning, we moved the hot water to 5am. Ain't nobody up at 5am! On a normal day, we'll rise around 7. But it just reduces load on the boiler to have the hot water come on and finish before it tries to warm the house.

Comment

Working...
          X