• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BladeC
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Jan 2018

Attaching an HR92UK to towel rail

Hi All,

I have got an Evohome running with 5 zones(basically each room) and would like to add one to the toilet.

I have a chrome towel rail in the bath room and I know I need to use an adapter. Briefly looked at the Honeywell options but they are expensive and was wondering if there is an alternative ?

Also trying to work out if a towel rads have a standard diameter or do they vary ? I have a handy man coming to fix a few things this weekend and just wanted to buy the parts

Dont know if we are allowed to post links...Here is a pic of the radiator.
    A secure, private and temporary storage for your photos. Watermark, copy-protect and auto-delete your images
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

Did not need an adapter on mine. Mine are Zehnder towel rails.

Comment

• DBMandrake
      Automated Home Legend
      • Sep 2014

Make sure your system has an automatic bypass valve already installed before fitting an HR92 to the towel rails - some systems use the towel rails or bathroom radiator as an always on "bypass radiator".

In most cases (all systems with constant speed pumps) if you fit TRV's to every radiator in the house including towel rails you need an automatic bypass valve in the system to maintain a minimum flow through the boiler.
      Last edited by DBMandrake; 18 October 2018, 08:07 PM.

Comment

• dty
        Automated Home Ninja
        • Aug 2016

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
        (all systems with constant speed pumps)
        To clarify here, ALL systems need a bypass. I think you're saying if you have a constant speed pump (as opposed to some kind of proportional control) then you can use an ABV instead of a radiator or other permanently open bypass? But you can't use an ABV with a proportional pump.

Comment

• BladeC
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Jan 2018

Originally posted by dty View Post
          To clarify here, ALL systems need a bypass. I think you're saying if you have a constant speed pump (as opposed to some kind of proportional control) then you can use an ABV instead of a radiator or other permanently open bypass? But you can't use an ABV with a proportional pump.

My boiler has an automatic by pass valve. That was the first thing checked before it was installed.

Comment

• BladeC
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Jan 2018

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
            Did not need an adapter on mine. Mine are Zehnder towel rails.
            Could you please share a pic of your if and when you can ?

Comment

• paulockenden
              Automated Home Legend
              • Apr 2015

Originally posted by BladeC View Post
              My boiler has an automatic by pass valve. That was the first thing checked before it was installed.[/url]
              Not a very long loop though, is it? With minimal cooling. So fine to stop the pump getting knackered if all the TRVs are closed, but not very effective for boiler over-run.

if you find your pump running for ages after the heating switches off at night you might want to think about using an external ABV too.

Comment

• BladeC
                Automated Home Lurker
                • Jan 2018

Originally posted by paulockenden View Post
                Not a very long loop though, is it? With minimal cooling. So fine to stop the pump getting knackered if all the TRVs are closed, but not very effective for boiler over-run.

if you find your pump running for ages after the heating switches off at night you might want to think about using an external ABV too.

Thanks for the info. I have to go back to the drawing board and rethink this.

Is there a way to get to turn on the heating with Evohome without a TRV(HR92). I was looking at one of the Zone Thermostat T87RF2033 but not sure how I can apply/add it to my set up.

Do I add this to my the existing BDR91 or does it need its own BDR91 to be added.....
                My system is set up to use a 2 port valve relay config even though I don't have zone valves in my setup.

Another idea is to piggyback of a zone setup on Evohome ? wondering if this is possible..i.e.to add the T87RF2033 to the zone say for e.g. hallway zone and the t87 can call for heat within when required.

Comment

Working...
                X