Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Evohome Upgrade

Automated Home Jr Member

Default Evohome Upgrade

Hi

I have had Evohome operating in my home for about 3 years now, and when I originally purchased it, it came with a bridge to provide connectivity between wireless home control and the home wifi, along with away from home. What I am trying to understand is it possible to replace the wireless home control with one that incorporates and wifi bridge, or do I need replace everything?

Automated Home Legend

Sorry but your question doesn't make sense.

There is no wifi bridge for old versions of the Evohome. There was the RFG100 which connected the original Colour Evohome to an Ethernet connection on your broadband router, not wifi.

The current model of Evohome controller has built in Wifi so if you replaced your controller with the new one it would connect directly to your home wifi without a separate box, which I suspect is what you're asking for.

Automated Home Jr Member

Sorry, yes you are right it is the RFG100 Bridge that plugs in with an Ethernet Cable into your wifi router that I am looking to get rid of.

As it is possible to replace the Controller with one that has a wifi controller. Is there is specific model number I should look for? I see from that there are a few model numbers flying around, some specifically mention wifi and others don't. And to confirm will still work with the current wireless relay box for operating the radiators and boiler?

Automated Home Guru

Before you do that, might be worth considering that the connection range between the RFG100 and the controller may be greater than that of the router to the built-in wifi of the newer device. That's one reason I stuck with the older offering despite the offering of a cheap upgrade via Evohome Shop. (Also the ability to switch optimisation by room which wasn't retained in the wifi model).

Automated Home Jr Member

I see your point, but my aim is to try and reduce the number of wires and leads round the house. Where my wifi router is, there is already a large number of wires, TV, media centre, and phone. Further, the ethernet ports (only 4) are already used up. So, unless there is a decent fibre compliant wifi router that has more ethernet ports than the standard 4 for virgin media, let me know. Anyhow, the evohome controller is only about 20 feet away from the router.

Automated Home Guru

So is your heating set up with HR92 units and the older Evohome control unit? I think what you're looking for is this, once you figure out if it's a good idea:
    https://theevohomeshop.co.uk/honeywe...p921r3100.html
    It has the main controller unit ATC928G3000 (which has the WiFi) and the boiler controller relay thing BDR91.

Though I'm not sure if you already have the BDR91 or compatible... you might be able to save a few quid if so.

I hope it's not breaking forum rules, but I have a brand new boxed kit I've been meaning to eBay bought this year - I needed 8 more valves and there was a deal on a whole home kit including the controller. If you have any interest let me know... but I suggest you let the experts here confirm this IS what you need.

Automated Home Jr Member

My heating is setup with HR92, with a relay BDR91 and the controller is ATC928.

Automated Home Guru

You could use a small switch to augment the number of ports. You plug one of the router ports into it using a short network cable. I usually use 5 port Netgear gigabit switches with a metal case. They're barely bigger than a cigarette packet. You'd lose one router port but gain 4 free switch ports and the power supply would add to the wiring, but it's a thought.

Automated Home Jr Member

Yes, I am well aware of this, but I was trying to avoid this as the number of plugs in the place with the router is all used up by the tv, media centre and phone, etc.

Automated Home Guru

I'm not sure they always need external power, or do they? It is a neat solution and would cost about £12 plus maybe a bigger bar-plug. The Wifi solution will cost you ~£200 new - is it worth it?