Thread: EvoHome Zone problems

Automated Home Lurker

Default EvoHome Zone problems

Hi

I have just installed an EvoHome system and I'm having some problems with one of the zones.

The zone in question is the kitchen and utility room. There's 1 radiator in the kitchen and 1 in the util room. At the moment, the kitchen is quite cold and the util room is hot (since the tumble dryer has just been on). I've set this zone as multi-room and had understood that each radiator should control the draw of heat separately. However, despite the temperature of the zone being set to 20 degrees, both radiators are on. The system is reporting its 24.5 degrees in the zone (its hot in my util room, but I don't think its that hot). Also, the radiator in the kitchen (which this morning was displaying the temperature of the kitchen) is now also saying its 24.5 degrees - no way is it that hot in there.

I'm a bit confused as to whats going on! Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Nick

Automated Home Legend

A multi-room zone should behave as you are expecting - the two HR92's will share the same schedule but will measure their own temperatures and control their radiators independently to each other to try to achieve their shared set point.

However the controller will only display the measured temperature from the first HR92 you bound when you added the HR92's, and it sounds like that must be your utility room.

Do you have temperature display enabled on both HR92's ? By default they only show the set point however if you enable the room temp setting in the HR92 config (set option 7 to 1) you can get them to show measured temperature instead, and this would let you see the temperatures both HR92's are measuring to help diagnose the issue. (I have room temp display enabled on all my HR92's as I prefer to see measured temperatures not set points)

The second thing I would do is when the room is over temperature and still heating, go into HR92 settings and change option 10 to 1, this will (temporarily) display the valve pin position. 0% means the pin is pushed right down and the radiator will be off, 100% means the radiator will be fully flowing and the HR92 will be calling for heat from the controller.

The radiator should start flowing when the pin position exceeds about 30%. What does the pin position report ?

Another thing to check is that the small latch at the bottom is properly clicked over - if it's not you will not get any errors but the HR92 will not be able to control the radiator valve, so potentially the valve pin could be up even though the room is too hot. Along with this I would try setting the set point very high (30C) then wait to see if you hear the motor whir for about 30 seconds, the set it very low (5C) and wait to see that the motor whirs for about 30 seconds in the other direction. If it doesn't the latch probably isn't latched properly as the motor will not operate when the latch is not closed.

Edit: reading your post again it seems like one or both HR92's has "forgotten" that it's in a multi-room zone and reverted to single-room mode.

Not sure how that could happen, but to try to fix it I would change the zone to a single room zone in the controller, exit back to the home screen, wait 10 minutes then go back and change it to a multi-room zone again and wait another 10 minutes. This should resend the configuration to the HR92's.

I don't suppose you have ever moved one of these two HR92's from a different zone to this one by rebinding it ?
    Last edited by DBMandrake; 2nd November 2018 at 08:07 PM.

Automated Home Lurker

Hi

Thanks for your response and sorry its taken me so long to reply. If anyone else ever finds this on searching for similar behaviour, this one turned out to be a faulty TVR valve. After reading DBMandrake's replay and trying to get a pin position reading, I noticed that the actual valve (that the HR92 controls) was leaking. It turned out that when I took the HR92 completely off, no heat flowed into the radiator. The valve should be open if not pressed. I guess this caused a load of the problems, if the TVR was faulty and sticking.

Anyway, valve was replace yesterday, so no more leak. So far, everything is behaving :-)

Nick