X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stevedh
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2017

As far as I can tell yes, I tried a test which seemed to confirm that, but you may want to wait and see if someone else replies to this, and I'm sure I saw this discussed elsewhere, but have been unable to find it.

Comment

• sidepipe
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2015

Not an expert by a long way but you might be able to do what you want on a more recent firmware ( it may be possible with the one you have also but can't be sure. )

When you select "Add Zone" ( or create in your case if it works ) and give the zone a name, it asks for the zone heating type. If you select "Zone Valve" for the first zone, you should be able to use your BDR91 as the controller for the zone. What I'm not sure, though, is whether there's a way of using the SAME BDR91 for the other ( loft ) zone. It might be that you need to buy another BDR91 and connect them in parallel ( so either one fires up the boiler. ) Maybe someone who knows the system better than I do can expand on this a bit, or tell me I'm talking rubbish

Comment

• nigpay1
        Automated Home Jr Member
        • Oct 2018

Ok, so I've 'built' a system to match my house on the Evohome website and it does say I'll need one Wifi Base Pack (containing the controller) and TWO HR92s.
        Obviously suggesting that you can't run a zoned system with only one HR92.

Unless, like you say sidepipe there is another way to do this.

Comment

• Stevedh
          Automated Home Guru
          • Mar 2017

also this was the thread I mean't I think

note sure about using the bdr91 as that could mess up things.. might be safer just to bite the bullet and get another HR92

Comment

• nigpay1
            Automated Home Jr Member
            • Oct 2018

I don't understand though why you can't have the evotouch as the downstairs thermostat and one HR92 in one other room upstairs to control that room. Seems odd.

Comment

• Stevedh
              Automated Home Guru
              • Mar 2017

Because the evotouch seems to need to be bound to something for it to do anything. Also note if you could get that to work the whole house would heat up everytime the bedroom got cold which may or may not be what you want.

Comment

• sidepipe
                Automated Home Jr Member
                • Oct 2015

Originally posted by Stevedh View Post
                Because the evotouch seems to need to be bound to something for it to do anything. Also note if you could get that to work the whole house would heat up everytime the bedroom got cold which may or may not be what you want.
                I'm not sure that's any different to 99% of installations out there, including those with so-called "smart" thermostats like Hive and Nest. There's just one stat for the whole house. If I understand correctly the OP wants that, but with an extra zone that can be controlled separately.

Comment

• yusglas
                  Automated Home Lurker
                  • Nov 2017

Hi, this is my first post and I just fitted the same configuration in this thread.

Evohome touch
                  Boiler unit

This worked great controlling the heat and shedualling the biller times. I then purchased 4 evohome trv’s - I have had the same issue, as others, cannot add a new zone to the single one I have without clearing it.

I thought the system would still allow the single zone with touch and boiler and then 4 more zones with the trvs - I cannot get it to do that. Maybe is changes the way it works after the second zone? Is that correct?

I only allows me to create 5 zones - I can add the trvs but not the boiler like it was before.

Can anybody tell me - is this correct?

Secondly - if I set up 5 zones, can one zone call for heat and turn the whole system on? So all trvs control the boiler switch?

The radiators without trvs would just get hot also as part of the other zone that was controlling heat?

If this is the case what do you do with the evotouch, it’s in a room with no radiator control, just a temperature. Could not set that, tried 20 times.

Sorry if Iam asking basic questions...
                  Last edited by yusglas; 23 December 2018, 12:47 PM.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by yusglas View Post
                    Hi, this is my first post and I just fitted the same configuration in this thread.

Evohome touch
                    Boiler unit

This worked great controlling the heat and shedualling the biller times. I then purchased 4 evohome trv’s - I have had the same issue, as others, cannot add a new zone to the single one I have without clearing it.

I thought the system would still allow the single zone with touch and boiler and then 4 more zones with the trvs - I cannot get it to do that. Maybe is changes the way it works after the second zone? Is that correct?

I only allows me to create 5 zones - I can add the trvs but not the boiler like it was before.

Can anybody tell me - is this correct?
                    Yes - the configuration you're trying to do is not supported.

You can either have a single zone with NO TRV's where it only controls the boiler - as you previously had, or you can have zones with TRV's - once you have zones with TRV's you cannot have a zone where there is only boiler control for that zone. Sorry.

I tried to do this when I first had my system and there are some hacks to get it working but in my experience it always results in comms errors. Not to mention that the zone without a TRV is frequently going to go over temperature - because as soon as another zone with a TRV is calling for 100% heat demand the zone without a TRV will be going flat out... so it would never be able to control the temperature of that zone properly anyway without a TRV, so why bother.

If you want to continue to control the zone you previously had as a single zone you'll need to add an HR92 to it.
                    Secondly - if I set up 5 zones, can one zone call for heat and turn the whole system on? So all trvs control the boiler switch?
                    Yes, all zones with HR92's are equally capable of calling for heat and turning on the boiler. This is one of the advantages of the system over a traditional single thermostat system.

Rooms that don't need heat will close their HR92's so only the rooms needing heat will heat up.
                    The radiators without trvs would just get hot also as part of the other zone that was controlling heat?
                    Yes radiators without TRV's or with traditional TRV's will warm up when other zones call for heat. This can be an issue in warmer weather where one of these uncontrolled zones might be a bit cold but none of the HR92 zones are cold and thus don't call for heat.

So having some rooms using traditional TRV's is a bit of a compromise - I ran my system like that for quite a while as I gradually replaced TRV's with HR92's, and in certain circumstances I had to manually turn on an HR92 zone that didn't really need to be on so I could get heat in a room with a traditional TRV - and the rooms with traditional TRV's were often too cold because no HR92 zones were calling for sufficient heat.
                    If this is the case what do you do with the evotouch, it’s in a room with no radiator control, just a temperature. Could not set that, tried 20 times.

Sorry if Iam asking basic questions...
                    As above - you can't do what you're trying to do.
                    Last edited by DBMandrake; 24 December 2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• mtmcgavock
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Mar 2017

Your easiest way as a work round would be to purchase an additional HR92, zone the four zones you want then put the 5th HR92 on a radiator in the hall or somewhere. Name this HR92 'House' then use this to control the rest of the radiators (As you would usually use a tradiational roomstat for instance) That way you get 4 of your radiators controlled, but still retain some control of the rest of the house. Then just use your traditional TRVs to control temps in other rooms.

I think really i've just repeated what what DBM was saying.
                      Last edited by mtmcgavock; 24 December 2018, 01:20 PM.

Comment

• yusglas
                        Automated Home Lurker
                        • Nov 2017

Thanks so much, makes it clear now.

Comment

Working...
                        X