• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • CerveloUK
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2018

Need advice with smart system for zone actuator valves

Hi All,

Stumbled across this forum its a true wealth of knowledge. I have searched the web for a solution to the following questions but cannot seem to find the answer.

6 months ago I moved into a new property which has a rather complex heating system which are controlled by zone actuator valves which are wired to room zone thermostats. The boiler has single channel drayton timer to control the boiler on and off, then each zone (3) have there own timers aswell, who ever installed it in 1992 seriously over complicated it!

My main question is what smart system can I use to control the zone actuator valves with a wifi smart room stat, but the smart stat can use the existing wiring to the zone actuator valve. As we have an annex which just a room stat which controls a zone actuator valve. But if the boiler is off there is no way to turn the boiler on or boost from this stat. So it can be control remotely and boost the boiler if needed through a smart system. Drayton wiser would have done the job but there room stats wont control a zone actuator valve.

Any help would be much appreciated.
  • toscal
    • Oct 2005

Loxone could do this.
    I would use a Miniserver Go, a Multi Air Extension , and in each room you need a stat use the Temperature and Humidity Sensor.
    You may need a Nano Air to act as a repeater for the wireless Air system if your annex is far from the Miniserver or Multi Air Extension.

The Multi air relay outputs would connect to the zone actuator valves. I am assuming the zone actuators are all in the same place. If not then each one could be controlled by a Nano Air. The Multi Air also needs a 24 volt supply, the Nano Air just need a mains supply.

Using this system each zone can have its own on off times the Air temperature sensors have a digital input so you could use a switch connected to this to give you a programmed heating boost in this zone. One press 30 mins, 2 presses 1 hour and 3 presses turns the heating off until next scheduled on, as an example.

The config software is free as is the app for your smart phone.

If you need more info let me know.
    Last edited by toscal; 11 November 2018, 09:29 PM.
    IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
    Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• CerveloUK
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2018

Thank you for the reply, I will have a look into these systems. I have also seen that Evohome has BRD91's which can control zone actuator valves. Do you think Drayton wiser will ever come out with anything similar for controlling these?

Comment

• Edinburgh2000
        Automated Home Guru
        • Dec 2016

Originally posted by CerveloUK View Post
        I have also seen that Evohome has BRD91's which can control zone actuator valves.
        I use Evohome to control my heating and I have three zone valves, each controlled by a BDR91. You will find that the valves open and shut frequently under the TPI control (analogue to digital conversion: 20% demand = 16 mins shut; 4 mins open) but I have been surprised at how well that works to keep the zones at the setpoint temperatures.

You say that a previous owner over-complicated your system but I would still recommend you get a new wire run from the zone valve in your annex back to wherever you have your junction box ('wiring centre') for your boiler, as that will allow the boiler to fire when the annex zone valve is open. Otherwise you will be stuck with a complicated work-around to ensure that the boiler is on when the annex needs heat.

Comment

Working...
        X