• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ldoodle
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Nov 2005

External Splitter

Hi there,

I'm in need of an external TV distribution box with at least 5 outputs. It's going to need to be non-powered the no where to plug it in, so not fussed if it's not an amplifier as well.

Any suggestions... the LoftBox is too overkill for my needs (don't know if it can be used externally anyway).

Thanks/...
  • katman
    • Jan 2004

Re: External Splitter

The only way to split a signal without power is passively and a 5 way split will seriously degrade the signal.

What you need is a masthead powered splitter whereby the power supply is located indoors near one of the TV's and the power is fed up the coax.

Dont have any info to hand at the moment but will try and find it later.

Regards

Keith
    KAT5.tv - affordable high quality AV Distribution
    http://www.kat5.tv

Comment

• ldoodle
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Nov 2005

I was expecting (but not hoping) that would be the answer!!

Don't really want to have the box visible if possible...

I might be able to squeeze it somewhere inside, so what should I be looking at getting?

I'm considering replacing the aerial as well as it's naff, and was looking at this; http://www.tracsat.co.uk/catalog/tel...t75-p-119.html

Thanks again/...

Comment

• ldoodle
        Automated Home Lurker
        • Nov 2005

Been looking arround and found this http://www.globalcom.co.uk/prod_blank.php?ProductsID=54

They do an 8 port passive version which states;

DsplitWB4PF: 2 x 4way passive wideband splitters in one housing.
        Satellite to 4 receivers, no loss.
        By no loss, i'm geussing they mean no signal loss?!?!

Would this be good enough, or should I get the active version?

Thanks again/...[/url]

Comment

• vex
          Automated Home Guru
          • Feb 2005

Unfortunately no splitter can be 'No Loss' due to the nature of the splitting device. It must either be an active but offering unity gain (what goes in is what comes out) or passive and therefore will have about 5 - 6db of loss.

One other alternative I have just thought of (and knowing the clever people at Global) as it is design for satellite use, although little use on domestic systems here in the uk, is may take its power from the LNB feed and therefore not need any externat power arrangement.

Have you actually considered how small the mast head amps are. We are only talking the size of a large box of matches or even a couple of packs cigeretts (spelling, but then I dont smoke so I don care!)
          www.intouchtech.co.uk (trade)
          NOW PART OF INVISION UK, One of the leading home technology distributors to the CI Market.

Comment

Working...
          X