• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • JamboV6
    Automated Home Jr Member
    • Oct 2017

Alexa control issues

I've just come across an issue and I'm not sure how new it may be but it's not right regardless.
    Our kitchen diner is all open plan and has 2 rad in, both with trvs but are bridged as 1 zone called kitchen (I need 13 zones ideally)
    I asked asked alexa "what is the temperature in the kitchen?" and she replied "20 degrees". I could see the trv was currently displaying the set temp of 17.5c. I asked alexa to "make the kitchen warmer" and she said kitchen set to 19 degrees! And here lyes the first issue.
    Surely it should set the temp to 1 degree (1 degree is the chosen increment by either amazon or honeywell) warmer than the current actual temp and not the set point as the setpoint is obviously too low hence asking for it to be warmer.
    The second issue is even though alexa said it was set to 19 both the trvs and the panel are showing the set point at 18.5! So I asked her to make the kitchen warmer again and she replied setting kitchen to 20 degrees but again trv and panel now show 19.5 degrees.

So why is it not setting the same as stated by alexa and why doesn't it increase the temp above the actual temp and not the set point?
    Last edited by JamboV6; 23 November 2018, 09:44 AM.
  • Stevedh
    Automated Home Guru
    • Mar 2017

For some reason Alexa Doesn't want to say fractional temperatures, see what happens when you say 'Alexa set (roomname) to 19.5' it will come back and say setting to 20 although it will actually set the room to 19.5

Comment

• JamboV6
      Automated Home Jr Member
      • Oct 2017

Yeah just tried it that's exactly what happened. So is this a honeywell skills issue with alexa or a honeywell control issue? I can't believe it's simply alexa can't say it!

But what about the fact that when I ask for the room in question to be made warmer it doesn't increase the temp above the current actual temp? That isn't right

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

I seem to recall that the half degree issue was a limitation in the Alexa API, at least originally. Probably because Alexa was designed by people who use Fahrenheit, which effectively has twice the temperature resolution of Celsius for integer numbers. So they probably didn't even consider that someone might want a half degree step.

Comment

• JamboV6
          Automated Home Jr Member
          • Oct 2017

Well the original cause makes sense but the fact it still exists is pretty poor

Comment

Working...
          X