• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • G4RHL
    Automated Home Legend
    • Jan 2015

The IOS app - heating & security

I am wondering if anybody in the forum knows if we are likely to see an update shortly.

I have recently installed Evohome Security. No problems installing it but the app is next to useless. It is better than it was with respect to heating. The security system is integrated into it. It is so cumbersome to log in that I wonder if people will be bothered to use it. Having logged in to Evohome Heating you have to log in again from within the app to use the security section. Even then it asks for a Pin and never seems to remember it. If you log out next time you log in it asks you set your pin again. It is such a laborious process that it will put people off using the app. Plus it takes its time logging you in.

On the plus point if the alarm is triggered notification to your phone is almost instant.

By now we ought to be able to use the app to adjust everything but we are not. It is as if Honeywell are not interested in promoting this feature yet it is crucial users have quick and full access from an app. Other systems seem to be well ahead. Honeywell people do read these pages. Is an update coming?
  • DBMandrake
    Automated Home Legend
    • Sep 2014

Why would you want to log out of the app ?

Comment

• G4RHL
      Automated Home Legend
      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
      Why would you want to log out of the app ?
      I don’t but the app sometimes, indeed often, wants me to login when I have not logged out.

Comment

• DBMandrake
        Automated Home Legend
        • Sep 2014

Originally posted by G4RHL View Post
        I don’t but the app sometimes, indeed often, wants me to login when I have not logged out.
        That used to happen a lot but I've not had that happen to me for a long time now. I suspect it only happens if you try to use the app while they are having server problems.

Comment

• peterf
          Automated Home Guru
          • Jan 2015

The only time that the security section of the app wants you to log in, in my experience, is when Honeywell have done something that causes you to have to log in to the heating part as well. That seems to be becoming a weekly event these days and is most unsatisfactory.
          Having logged in to both parts of the app, you only need to put in the pin to get into the security part.
          Incidentally, if you go into the https://tc20e.total-connect.eu site, you can tweak some of the alarm parameters that aren't available on the "normal" site.

Comment

• G4RHL
            Automated Home Legend
            • Jan 2015

Originally posted by peterf View Post
            Incidentally, if you go into the https://tc20e.total-connect.eu site, you can tweak some of the alarm parameters that aren't available on the "normal" site.
            Spotted that. It would be better to have all these controls in the app. I have just opened the app. It was not already running, my phone had no apps running. This time I was not asked for any login requirements, it went straight in, including the security. It seems my phone (iPhone X) must retain data even when an app has been completely exited but not by using the logout route.

I am pleased with the security system. It all works and was straight forward to do. My only criticism is the external siren should come with the facility for the battery box to be installed inside the loft. Or provide a PSU. Whilst battery life is said to be 5 years, at my age I don’t fancy getting heavy ladders out and going up high to change the batteries. Again, another example of Honeywell not thinking through who their end users may be and making things easier for them. Same problems/issues that I grumble about with the heating app. The ideal would be to have a tablet that is used solely to handle controls - my lights, my heating, my external cameras, garden lights, security - but all in one app and not several! Never mind talking to Siri or Alexa. High time Evohome heating and security worked with HomeKit.

At my local hospice we are running a pilot programme to help people with many tasks and this will include helping them cope when the gadget geek in their home has departed this world. Honeywell would get a lot of credibility if they thought through the end user issue and making it easy. At present I am sure many get totally frustrated having to go to various different apps to control their homes. Integration! Honeywell must have the expertise to handle this aspect.

Comment

• peterf
              Automated Home Guru
              • Jan 2015

I'm also pleased with the security system. However, reading the appropriate manuals, if one component's battery needs replacing, you're apparently alerted but there's no indication of which battery it is and you're supposed to replace them all. Does anyone know if this is correct?

Comment

• G4RHL
                Automated Home Legend
                • Jan 2015

My understanding has been that you are told which device needs a new battery as with the heating system, but perhaps I am wrong. I am certainly pleased with the speed it tells you when the alarm has been triggered and which device triggered it - seconds!

Now if Honeywell can do this with the security system why cannot they have the heating app tell us what is calling for heat etc.?

Comment

• peterf
                  Automated Home Guru
                  • Jan 2015

Re the heating app and what's calling for heat, my understanding is that it's aggregated demand that causes the boiler to fire up, so, if everything is up to temperature it may not be a single unit that's calling for enough heat but several units with a marginal requirement.

Obviously I stand to be corrected by those with a greater knowledge of the system's inner workings.

Comment

• DBMandrake
                    Automated Home Legend
                    • Sep 2014

Originally posted by peterf View Post
                    Re the heating app and what's calling for heat, my understanding is that it's aggregated demand that causes the boiler to fire up, so, if everything is up to temperature it may not be a single unit that's calling for enough heat but several units with a marginal requirement.

Obviously I stand to be corrected by those with a greater knowledge of the system's inner workings.
                    The information of which specific zones are calling for heat and how much is available in the system configuration page since a recent update - so we're just asking for that information to be sent to the phone apps...

Comment

• G4RHL
                      Automated Home Legend
                      • Jan 2015

Originally posted by DBMandrake View Post
                      The information of which specific zones are calling for heat and how much is available in the system configuration page since a recent update - so we're just asking for that information to be sent to the phone apps...
                      Simple request. They do it with the security part of the app. The control panel knows the names of the TRVs, it knows when they need new batteries, it is not beyond the job of an apprentice coder to have the information sent out to the web site and the app. Talking of that, I would much rather have the app reminding me batteries are needed as I often forget to look at the Panel, my wife never does and as it does not show the information for very long she would never ever know new batteries are needed. A bloody great low battery warning banner in the app would tell you though!

Comment

Working...
                      X