• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • emby
    Automated Home Lurker
    • Sep 2005

Small Office Alarm

I've been trying to come up with a solution for security alarm/camera for a small office.

Most of the requirements are standard: PIR / Door switches to detect intruders and the ability to make some noise when they are detected.

However, I also think it would make sense to be notified by phone/SMS when the alarms were triggered and be able to check the situation by remote camera.

I haven't had a lot of luck in finding a system that will do all of this at a sensible price - so thought that splitting the two systems (alarm & camera) might be the way to go - even though this seems a bit backwards to me.

I'm considering the Visonic Powemax system for the alarm and just an IP camera to be able to check on things. Does this sound like a sensible/practical solution?

So far I haven't seen how I could easily create a video archive using just an IP camera, so any advice on this, comments on the approach or suggestions of a better solution would be welcome. Sadly budget is a pretty big concern as most of it has already been spent on physical security.
  • Otto-Mate
    Founder
    • Jan 2004

Re: Small Office Alarm

Check out Intamac...

They do monitored alarms / HA system with SMS/ MMS pictures etc.

M.
    Editor AutomatedHome.co.uk

www.facebook.com/AutomatedHomeUK
    www.twitter.com/ottomate
    www.instagram.com/automatedhome/

Comment

• emby
      Automated Home Lurker
      • Sep 2005

Thanks Otto-mate. Not much information on their site, but I will give them a call tomorrow.

Must admit that I was leaning more towards a DIY approach rather than paying for monitoring - as I've always got phones/PDAs/laptops with me and only live 2 minutes away from the premesis (1 if it looks serious!).

Comment

• toscal
        • Oct 2005

You can add cameras to the visonic powermax plus via the web interface module.
        The Visonic powermax plus is an excelent piece of kit. I have so far installed two of these systems. Its very configurable and can even do limited home automation stuff as well.
        For storing photos from IP based camera systems try a google search. I know there are sites that allow you to do this.
        IF YOU CAN'T FIX IT WITH A HAMMER, YOU'VE GOT AN ELECTRICAL PROBLEM.
        Renovation Spain Blog

Comment

• HomeHub
          Automated Home Lurker
          • Mar 2005

Obviously I'm biased but have you looked at HomeHub which can do everything you want to and best of all its totally free to try. All you'll need is to buy the equipment to go with it.

If you wanted to keep it simple then you could stick with basic X10 stuff or if you do choose to go with the powermax then I believe it can send X10 signals which you can use as an input to HomeHub and get it to do whatever you like (take pictures on cameras, send SMS, play loud noise etc)

HomeHub will also help you with the pictures from the cameras because it can be set up to store them locally or online.

www.homehub.co.uk

Comment

• emby
            Automated Home Lurker
            • Sep 2005

Had quite a good look at Homehub. All things being otherwise equal (which of course they never are!) I would prefer not to use a third party service for monitoring - but this was really a minor point rather than any sort of deal breaker.

I'll be really honest with you: What really put me off was that I never got contacted from the 2 enquiries that I made. The thought of being bound to a company that might not return contacts put me off completely I am afraid.

Nice looking system though. Would possibly consider it for home use if my concerns were addresses.

Comment

Working...
            X